-->

Saturday, March 5, 2016

THE GOLDEN TRIANGLE & THE WHITE WAT


This was another of those “Pinch me, am I really here!” moments as I stood in Thailand’s Golden Triangle. Below, Myanmar (Burma) was on one side and Laos the other. It was quite a heady and breathtaking sight.

Ketsara warned me not to use my credit cards here! “This is the border,” she stated “and it’s dangerous.”

She began telling me about China Road. Ketsara said that if I moved to Chiang Rai, on her own time she would drive the two of us to Laos, and then up into Mainland China. We could even go over to Viet Nam. I was intrigued with the idea. However I never want to see another squat toilet again! The bathrooms in Ecuador were challenging enough! I hated confessing I was leaning more toward South America as my future home.

Crickets are sold as food in Thailand and much of Asia along with other insects. -- No, I didn’t sample any! However, due to the exploding world population and earth’s diminishing resources, in 20 years, we may all be seeing crickets on our dinner plate, probably alongside baked cockroaches and boiled beetles, too!

I was also informed that the Thai’s eat Cobras! I told Ketsara & Pako I didn’t have a problem with that since it was a reptile. I’ve eaten Alligator here in Florida! Besides, birds are descendants of dinosaurs and nearly everyone eats fowl. 

We continued to Mae Sai on the border next to Myanmar. We explored the local markets and strolled thru shops before returning to the hotel.     

My suitcases were running short of space. I gave Ketsara the cloth purse I’d bought at Claire’s after Christmas. Also I brought lots of snacks, (granola & P-nut butter bars, cracker & cheese packs) I wasn’t sure how much food I’d get on the planes. As it turned out, I was well fed everywhere! So these were given away as well.

The following morning, we visited another world famous Chiang Rai attraction; Wat Rong Khun called The White Temple. This WAT was the one I longed to see! It stood out from every other temple in Thailand. As pure white and intricately beautiful as a snowflake, it appeared like a structure straight out of a fairy tale.

This temple, the Wat Rong Khun has actually been restored as an art exhibit, created and owned by Chalermchai Kositpipal, a local millionaire artist. In fact, HE WAS RIGHT THERE, sitting off to one side surrounded by a crowd. His creation is an offering to Lord Buddha. To me, it’s the most memorable of all temples. It is certainly unique!

It was smaller than it appears in photos, but no less impressive. Guarded by dragons and mythological creatures, two gigantic Mastodon tusks greet you as demons watch. Grim realistic looking hands reach up from Hell as you cross its bridge. The imagery is spellbinding!

I thought anything this special would be sacred and remote. It comes across this way in pictures. I was surprised to find it in the city with businesses bustling all around. And it was crowded, jammed with both Westerners & Asians, more so than any other temple.

But what surprised me most was the large inside mural. The images were current or rather semi-current along with movie fantasy. George W. Bush and Osama Bin Laden were seated together on a missile riding toward the stars, flames circled around. Planes were crashing into the Twin Towers. Featured also were Harry Potter, The Terminator, Superman, The Matrix, and Hello Kitty. Below on this same mural I was puzzled to see an image of Michael Jackson in Hell with Freddy Krueger!

It was worth a trip to Thailand just to tour this temple!

Outside close by, is an Art Gallery. Oh, and I can’t forget the Golden Public Restroom, known as the most beautiful one in Thailand!

Departing the White Temple we drove south along a winding mountain route. Our destination was now Chiang Mai several hours away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment