-->

Friday, March 18, 2016

FARANG - A - DANG - DANG!


Farang is the Thai word meaning foreigner. This is not a derogatory term any more than the word Gringo in Spanish-speaking countries. Chiang Mai was already my favorite city in Thailand! There were so many exciting and interesting, exotic things here to see and experience. And I was enjoying it to the fullest!

Thailand’s highest mountain called Doi Inthanon is located here. The road up was so steep our driver Pako didn’t feel comfortable taking the van. Instead, the 3 of us opted for public transportation or what I call the limo of tuk tuks. This vehicle was open on 3 sides and seated 6 people, 4 comfortably. Happily, it was just the 3 of us.

We were driven only part of the way, the rest we had to walk. Pako led us up the long winding steps. Whenever we came to a missing or irregular one, he would turn and point down. (Bless his heart!) Markets were plentiful here too, along with Buddhist monks. Finally, we reached the summit which is 8,415 feet high.

My guide Ketsara sighed repeatedly, saying she was exhausted from the climb. And she wasn’t 65 years old with swollen, banged-up feet! But we were rewarded with a magnificent view of Chiang Mai below.

I was driven back to the hotel to shower and change for the Khantoke dinner and dance performance later in the evening. As I took off my clothes I was horrified to discover that my calves were now swollen along with my feet & ankles. Plus I was aching all over.

Before entering the elaborate and enormous dining room, I had to remove my shoes. Tables were on the floor, diners sat on cushions. Beneath the table was a drop to place your feet making the seating feel normal and comfortable. Dinner was served in the Lanna Kingdom Court style with a variety of Northern Thai cuisine.

To be honest, I didn’t care for Thai food. Everything is so over-spiced it all tasted similar to me. Asian food is probably my least favorite.

No one sat across from me, so I had an unobstructed view of butt cleavage on the burly Australian at the next table. This didn’t help my appetite! Fortunately, the lights went down after the meal. My eyes were now focused on the stage elevated in the center of the room.

Beautiful Thai women performed classical dances of the folk and hill tribes residing in Northern Thailand. For each dance, they were outfitted in a different costume. Plus they sang songs. In between these performances men played instruments. Also a man did acrobatics and another performed a dangerous act with knives.

Afterward, I was so exhausted from my day that I fell asleep in the van as we rode back to the hotel.

Tomorrow starting early, I would enjoy more of Chiang Mai before flying to Mae Hong Son, later in the afternoon. There was no sleeping in on this trip! Thank goodness, I’m an early riser!

1 comment: