-->

Thursday, March 24, 2016

FAREWELL CHIANG MAI, HELLO MAE HONG SON


Bright and early as usual, we were on our way. We stopped at a place by the Mae Ping River where I feed wild monkeys. I purchased bananas at a hut and the monkeys came running. I had been warned not to touch them, because they are wild. But I was tempted! They were so cute, and often their little paws were all over me. Whenever this happened, an old woman with a stick emerged. She would pound it on the ground and they would disperse. After the bananas were gone, I was given a pan filled with peanuts. When that was empty, I was sad, I wanted to stay longer.

Afterward, we went to visit a Retirement Resort, the one that caught my eye online. Ketsara & I were driven around in a golf cart. The place was just as dreamy as the pictures. However, the units with large back porches overlooking water were deluxe, the regular ones so-so. And they consisted of only a bedroom & bath, the porch costing extra. All meals and a maid service were included. But it would be like living the rest of my life in a hotel room. This would be OK if I was incapacitated, but I’m not ready for anything like it, now! However, that day might arise. Remember, I have no children to impose upon.

This being Thailand, I could afford a deluxe unit. But it would take my entire monthly income. And medical care was NOT included, so that changed things!

As we were heading toward a unit, a resident waved us over. “The maid just left!” she shouted, “You can show her my room!”

As I admired her unit, the lady and I began to chat. As it turned out, she was from Port St. Lucie! (This is south of Vero Beach and just north of my old hometown of Stuart!!!) She moved to Chiang Mai because her daughter married a Thai man and they have 2 children. This way she could be close to the family. It was nice to know I had a friend, if I ever decided to move there.

From here, it was on to an Orchid Farm & Butterfly Garden. I’m a former florist, so this was interesting to me. In the middle, stood a restaurant featuring a buffet with traditional (over-spiced) Thai food. The room was open on 2 sides and as was typical, no air-conditioning! Normally, I like a hot caffeinated beverage with my meal, but I didn’t want to sweat in my food so I drank lots of coconut smoothies, or what I call brain freeze with lunch!

Afterward, Pako drove us to a 10 acre garden- park by the river. The entire 10 acres was filled with exotic flowers of all variety in full fragrant bloom! It took my breath away! It felt as if I was strolling thru a slice of Heaven!

Since there was time remaining before catching my plane, Ketsara took me to a pastry shop because she knew I love sweets. I chose a slice of both green tea cake and an orange one.  (These were thin slices!) Both tasted bland! The frosting was whipped crème spread thin; I like butter cream spread thick! I don’t understand how Thai food can be so ultra spicy and yet their desserts are so flavorless. Even the pizza I had back in Chiang Rai screamed for garlic & oregano!

The only tasty dessert I had so far was a thin pancake wrapped around spun sugar. Ketsara had purchased it for me (out of her own money) at an outdoor market back in Sukhothai.

Now it was off to the airport and much sadness, I had to say good-bye to Ketsara. Probably I will never see her again in this life, although we have since been emailing.

My luggage was overweight and I had to pay a $30 fine! Ketsara told me that if I wanted to get rid of anything, to give it to the hill tribe in Mae Hong Son. “They are poor and can make use of it,” She said. Ketsara also suggested that I buy a large bag to use as a carry-on.

Only 10 people were flying to Mae Hong Son. I was the only Westerner, the rest Chinese. As we were led outside our plane came into view. Many balked and I heard nervous giggles among the passengers. This was the smallest airplane I’d ever seen close up! I could now understand why my luggage was overweight!

As we boarded, we were handed a box. Inside the plane, there was no cockpit, passengers sat right behind the pilot & co-pilot. The plane seated only us 10! After we took flight, I opened the box. It contained a sandwich & a bottle of water. I swear the sandwich tasted just like peanut butter & mayonnaise!

We flew low the entire way; mountains were always visible below. The flight lasted only a half hour. Mae Hong Son is Thailand’s second northern most province.

After landing and collecting my luggage, I spotted a lone man holding up a sign. It had numbers followed by a dot.com. The man pointed at me and I shook my head. -- I had been told the sign would have my name as Ketsara’s did. Also I had requested a female guide!

Soon, it was just the two of us there. He stated it HAD to be me,  he'd been instructed to pick-up just ONE person.

I was suspicious and wondered if my real guide was in the bushes somewhere, hacked up and bloody. Perhaps he planned to rob and do likewise to me. However, no one else was around. So I decided to take a chance and go with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment