-->

Friday, March 11, 2016

CHIANG RAI BEHIND & NOW CHIANG MAI


Chiang is the Thai word for city. Rai means mountainous and Mai means new. Despite being the ancient capitol of the Lanna Kingdom, Chiang Mai had a modern feel. This city boldly lived up to its name! There was a freshness and vibrancy here! It didn’t appear old as most of northern Thailand, yet it still possessed that same exotic allure.

The only downside was the congested traffic last seen in Bangkok. I heard Ketsara say, “Rawang! Rawang!” to our driver Pako several times. I had to chuckle. “Rawang” was the first word I learned in Thai before ever setting foot in Thailand. It means”beware” or “careful”.

My hotel in Chiang Mai was the Holiday Inn. I couldn’t believe it was the same chain Rose & I used in Fort Lauderdale before flying to Ecuador. Here, there was a doorman, plus bellhops to carry my luggage. Rose & I had been forced to struggle with our own heavy luggage. Also the Breakfast Bar there was only a little larger than a walk-in closet offering sparse selections. Here, in Chiang Mai the Breakfast Bar stretched half-way across an enormous room and the selections were nothing short of glorious! Lattes and cappuccinos were available, too! Plus my room was spacious with a terrace overlooking the Mae Ping River. The difference in hotels was like comparing a Kia to a Lamborghini!

Ketsara was eager to show me the Crafts Village. There, we saw hand-painted fans & umbrellas made and decorated. Another place featured silks. We were shown the process from beginning to end starting with the stages of the silk worm ending in beautiful silk clothes & accessories. Another one, we watched jewelry created and later displayed for sale.

“You haven’t been to Chiang Mai unless you’ve been to the Crafts Village,” Ketsara told me.

I SAY, you haven’t been to Chiang Mai unless you’ve been to the Night Market! This was gigantic and fabulous, plus the shopping was eye-popping and amazing! Part of it stretched out into the street but most of it was under a roof. At its entrance were lady-boys all dolled-up and looking like goddesses, each one more gorgeous than the one before.

Items on display were diverse and interesting. The merchandise here truly made me sad that I didn’t have more room left in my suitcase! However, I did purchase a few more gifts & souvenirs for friends; including a penis-shaped soap as a gag gift for my friend Rose.

I spied a sign that read Fish Massage. I asked Ketsara if that meant people massaged fish or had them rubbed over their bodies. She explained the process to me as we walked over. Of course I had to experience one!

First, 2 men washed my feet. Afterward, they taped all of my raw cuts & sores and I had plenty! Then I sat on a bench over a fish tank, placing my feet down inside. Hundreds of tiny fish descended upon my flesh like piranhas eating away dead skin cells. It tickled, and felt nice on my swollen, banged-up feet.

I enjoyed it so much; if there was one in Vero Beach I’d do it every year on my birthday! In fact, if I had any kind of head for business or math, I’d start my own fish massage business right here! I don’t know of any in the state of Florida!

After my fish massage, I treated myself to an almond & mango sundae. I watched a man actually make the ice cream on a surface right in front of me, and then he added the toppings.

Ketsara & I rode a tuk tuk back to the hotel. Ketsara told me that motorcycle taxis are available, the driver just hands you a helmet and you hop on the back. These can cut thru heavy traffic better than tuk tuks. But she didn’t recommend one, because they are dangerous.

Often, I saw in Thailand something I’ve never seen before, THREE adults riding ONE motorcycle! The end person clinging tightly with their derriere hanging way down in the back, I hope these weren’t motorcycle taxis!

Tomorrow would be another event filled day in Chiang Mai!

No comments:

Post a Comment