-->

Sunday, March 13, 2016

ELEPHANT & BAMBOO RAFT RIDES


My mornings started early and now it was off to the elephant camp. I’m an animal lover and had mixed emotions over this. I was excitedly looking forward to this as part of my Thai experience, but at the same time, I felt badly for the elephants. I’d been told that elephants were treated well in Thailand because they’re the symbol of its country. Also it is illegal to kill an elephant here, even if you own that elephant. I hope this is true! Remember, people ride horses and train them to do tricks. -- Yes, one is wild and one domesticated, but elephant camps exist all over Northern Thailand. These are elephants born and raised in captivity.

I climbed to the top of a small bamboo tower and from there I mounted an elephant for my ride. Something was feeling up my leg, I looked down to discover a baby elephant chained beside      its mother! Now, I really felt terrible!

The ride was anything but smooth. I had to cling tightly to both my purse & camera. As we headed down the hill into the stream, I feared I’d lose both in the water. As the 2 elephants waded down the stream, I looked back. In the distance I saw other elephants behind me. I must have been the first rider of the day, none were ahead.

Eventually, we climbed up from the stream and followed a jungle trail. Several times along the way, we came to small bamboo towers where bananas & sugar cane could be purchased for the elephants. Of course I did, each time!

We departed the jungle trail and stepped onto a road. Chinese tourist riding in ox carts passed. Some snapped my picture on the elephant and I took theirs. The ride lasted an entire hour. The Thais certainly give your money’s worth!

Soon it was time for the elephant show! I sat in the bleachers as elephants performed tricks and danced to rock music. I felt a little sick inside watching. -- I don’t even believe children should be forced to take dance lessons or play piano against their will! However, I was a guest in this country and I didn’t want to be an obnoxious one.

Then I watched with my own eyes as 5 elephants quickly and skillfully painted pictures with their trunks! Believe me; these landscapes looked WAY better than anything I could create!

Next, Ketsara & I walked down to the stream and boarded a bamboo raft. Men wielding long bamboo poles stood at the front & back. We passed elephants being bathed in the stream. One kept spraying us with its trunk! This was the deepest part of the stream. As we turned a bend, the water was only about 2 feet deep and so clear I could see bottom. The hot sun was in my face the rest of the way. I could have jumped out and waded faster!

Finally, we headed toward a hill on the left bank; we departed the raft at its shore. The steps leading up the hill were typical; irregular with some missing.

At the top of the hill, I was delighted to discover a spacious restaurant, and best of all it was air-conditioned! The buffet featured both Thai & Western cuisine, plus live entertainment. A man & woman with beautiful voices stood on a stage singing in Thai.  

After lunch, I would be taken to the top of Thailand’s highest mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment