-->

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

NAME BLAME & SHAME

The most popular names of 2012 were Jacob and Sophia. Both are perfectly fine names! But personally, I wouldn't name a new baby either one. -- At least not for another few decades!

I was named after my father's favorite song, MY DIANE. By the time I reached High School there were 4 other girls in the same grade with my name! Sometimes, we all ended up in the same class. Dad swore he never knew another!

However, when you name your child after a popular song, or movie, or TV character; you should expect imitation. Thousands, perhaps millions are going to have the same idea and think they are the only one. This should be a no-brainer!

Of course any name can have a variety of spellings. I added an extra N when I started Junior High because I thought my name looked incomplete without it. This had always bugged me!

All considered, I'm happy with my name. I could have been stuck with far worse! For example, I could have been named after my maternal grandmother. Her given name was Floy! -- That may have been why she was such an old pus rag!   A family surname is usually a good choice for a given name. But not in that case.

To me, a given name has far more to do with your identity than your surname. It's too darn bad we're not given more freedom to name ourselves. I propose, say at age 18 everyone be allowed to change the first name to one of their choosing. Then the old parent-given name would become the middle one.

I've always liked the name Lyllah. My name would then be Lyllah Dianne Lininger! However, Lyllah Lininger sounds a bit goofy. Remembering myself at age 18 I'd probably end up a moniker such as Azedna, Selithia, or Tayeda.

A first and last name together need a mellifluous rhythm to the ear. I prefer unusual or ethnic names to common ones. But they must have a certain personal style and finesse. This is something most celebrities believe they have, but sorely lack.

Celebrities tend to give their children dog & cat names. Guess they want their kids names to stand out. And they do, but for all the wrong reasons! These should be just pet names for inside the family. Because they sound lame! A few of my least favorite are: Apple, Sage Moonblood, Fifi Trixibelle, & Pilot Inspektok. These kids could play with my little fantasy daughter Polly Ester.

Back in the 1970's when I was in the florist business, all our delivery trucks were out. It was late in the day. So a designer pal and I took a wreath to the cemetery before heading off to the movies. I pointed to a grave that read Donald Duck. I thought it was hilarious and started giggling! "The only thing funnier would be a grave beside it with the name Tom Turkey." I laughed.

My friend's demeanor turned grim. "There is nothing funny about it!" she stated matter-of factly. This was the grave of a young boy who commit suicide due to that name. "Parents need to exercise good judgement when naming a child, " she said.

Duh!!!

Young Mr. Duck should have hung in there. Later, he could have legally changed his name, then divorced his parents!

1 comment:

  1. My name is Irene. A perfectly serviceable name, slides off the tongue easily, has no spelling hiccups, popular but not too much so that every other person you meet has the same name. But -
    There are those who feel confident that they can improve upon it. I have been called, Reen, Reeny, Ireney, Renay, or just plain "I".

    ReplyDelete