-->

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

CONFESSIONS OF A LINKEDIN LOOSE WOMAN

If you read my blog, you know that when it comes to technology I'm in the same category as an Amish woman. -- I take that back! There are probably Amish women who are quite tech savvy. (Remember Rumspringa!) However, I'm learning as I go along.

Several years back, I didn't know how to get on LinkedIn! A nice lady from the business networking luncheons put me on so we could connect.

For the first couple of years, I had about 8 connections. Everyone else seemed to have around 200. So I was kind of embarrassed. But at least I knew all 8 people.

Then I received an invitation from an unfamiliar name. I thought it might be someone from one of the networking luncheons. I meet so many people, I can't remember all their names. So I connected! Then I looked at the profile. Whoa, I thought, this is a total stranger! A few weeks later, a similar thing happened. And I didn't hesitate to connect. Yippeee!!! I had 10 connections, now!

I decided to experiment. I sent off volumes of invitations to strangers. Some received invites just because I liked their hair! I really didn't expect any of them to actually connect.

The next time I checked my Inbox, I couldn't believe it! Almost all of them did!

So I continued sending out invitations. My goal was to reach 100 connections before the weekend was over. Success, I did it!!!

I felt rather hypocritical. -- I had been reluctant to get on Facebook because I didn't want strange people trying to friend me!

Of course some did reject me. A few even contacted me just to tell me so! I got the vibe they were trying to feel superior by putting me in my place. Good grief, they had the option of ignoring my invitation. So this was unnecessary!

The most arrogant was a woman with a pageboy and thick glasses. -- I don't know why I sent her an invitation in the 1st place. She looked like a real pill just from her photo!

Early the following week, I met my friend Rose for lunch. "What have you been up to?" she asked.

I told her I had become a LinkedIn whore! I spent the entire weekend connecting with total strangers. It was a 2-day orgy!!!

"Then I'm a phone whore!" Rose declared. "I'm constantly changing my phone plan to get a better deal."

We laughed loudly that we were a pair of whores! The couple seated beside us on the other side of the partition got up and changed their seat!

I've had more than a few men try to hit on me thru LinkedIn. Perhaps it has to do with the fact I'm one of the rare women on there displaying cleavage.

One fellow was discombobulated when I told him I was over 60. -- Yes, my profile photo is recent, no touch-ups or photo-shopping involved. (I look young for my age in person, too!) However, I understood why he wanted nothing more to do with me. I totally get it! I'm shallow, too! What made me really angry was that he disconnected with me on LinkedIn. It's NOT a dating site!

Anyway, I've got well over 500 connections, now! Plus my profile was one of the 10 most viewed of 2012! NOW, YOU KNOW WHY! Seems every few days I receive an invitation from someone I've never met.

Lately, I've ignored a couple because I had an wary feeling. But it's rare for me to turn anyone away. So if you're reading my blog and want to connect, send me an invitation. I'm easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment