-->

Saturday, November 16, 2013

THE FABRIC OF DREAMS

If I ever had a daughter I'd name her Polly Ester. Yes, I hate kids! But I love the material. The only thing I miss about the 1960's is all those spiffy polyester clothes. Back then, the majority cared about their appearance and were still making an effort to look put together.

As the popularity of natural fabrics rose, people began to appear more sloppy. It's been a steady decline ever since. Which is strange, because the natural materials were more pricey. In the 1980's many would not be caught dead wearing polyester.

For one thing, the big name designers couldn't make money off it, so polyester was suddenly deemed low class. The masses bought into their propaganda. Of course those who could afford their over-priced duds probably never did their own ironing.

The wonder fabric was unjustly maligned. Polyester is a dream come true! Just toss into the cold water wash, then the dryer. Expect far less shrinking and fading than natural materials. Plus it's resistant to mold and mildew as well as stains. The most resilient fabric ever! I sing its praises! There are many attractive polyester blends, too.

Living on a limited income, I do lots of shopping at Thrift and Consignment stores. Once upon a time, the thrift places did not charge extra for designer rags. Nowadays most do, so usually I avoid pricey racks. And I dress really nice! I receive complements on my attire all the time, from all age groups.

A few years back, I was standing in a large group waiting for the Library to open. A disheveled man appeared and elbowed his way thru the crowd. He came to straight to me. "I'm in a bind." he said. "Can you give me a few dollars?" Reluctantly, I did. But I was annoyed that I was the one he chose to target. I brought this up in my therapy group.

"You look like you've got money," I was told. I've heard this often!

Dressing well has nothing to do with how much money you spend. It's all about how you put clothes together. There's plenty of room for creativity when you accessorize. This is a talent of mine.

I recall when a high-end shopping plaza opened near Swell's Pointe (wealthy area) in Stuart. The local paper interviewed one of the shop owners. "Sometimes the polyester crowd wanders over here," he said with disdain. -- I thought the caste system died after high school. I was wrong! I was part of that crowd to which he was referring.

One day my neighbor, Gertrude, was leaving to check out the place. I was standing outside in my faded walking shorts, T-shirt, and flip-flops. She invited me along. I had no time to change clothes or put on make-up. I just jumped in the passenger seat. I wasn't even sure where we were going.

At the plaza, we briefly separated. I walked into a shop to admire an ornate handbag. One I would have needed to win the lottery to afford. But I stood there lusting. I felt two lasers boring into my back. I turned. The clerk was glowering fixedly upon me. His jaw was set. He was letting me know non-verbally I was unwelcome there.

I probably should have returned the next day dressed to perfection and had some fun with the snooty jerk! I'd pretend to buy, similar to that scene in the movie Pretty Woman. Then I'd tell him his merchandise wasn't quite up to my standards.

Gertrude preferred plain & simple attire. Unless you saw her stepping out of her brand-new Lincoln Continental, you would never guess she was worth millions! It's foolish to judge on appearance. My clothes may be cheap, but I'm not!

Honestly, I've never understood the appeal of denim. It's certainly not a Florida friendly material. I wear it only during the cooler months. Denim jeans feel like heavy drapes wrapped around my legs. I see construction workers wearing them in the heat of summer and I can't comprehend how they do it. If I was in their place, I'd be doing a Miley Cyrus and shucking my slacks in front of everyone to keep from passing out from heat stroke. My shirt would be clinging to my body with sweat. And my tongue would be down to my knees! I would be writhing on the ground.

I've always found dresses to be far more comfortable. Florida is a sweltering , sticky hot, humid state! Denim blends aren't quite as bad. Acid washed can be pretty and is fun to accessorize. As for ripped jeans, they are a joke! It is laughable to see what designers can get people to put on their bodies.

I'm not a fan of cotton, either. I'll stick with polyester. Unfortunately, it's derived from petroleum. However, cotton is the most pesticide dependant crop on the planet. Neither is environmentally friendly! At least I'm helping the environment by wearing recycled clothes!

I've read that polyester is flame-retardant. But once it ignites, it goes up fast! And unlike natural materials it melts into your flesh. However, cotton is actually more combustible! The most hazardous combination is a polyester-cotton blend. However, if the item is super pretty and flattering, it's well worth the risk.

Inside my home, I slop around, or go naked. But when out in public, I try to always dress nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment