-->

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

DIAMONDS FROM THE ASHES


My first grade art teacher, I don't remember her name, yet I recall HER quite well. Middle-aged, slender, and single, she was a plain and pleasant woman with tons of personality who was well liked. Entering second grade I learned the sad and terrible news. She had been killed in a traffic accident during summer vacation in Paris.

A photo of her was placed on the art department wall in memory. It saddened me every time I saw it. I imagine a bright Parisian morning with her seated outside a café enjoying a latte and croissant while conversing in French with the people around her sharing laughter and having no inkling it would be her last day of life.

I didn't know her long or well, but I still grieved her.

Not long ago, Shark Tank featured a couple marketing a process that turns the carbon from cremated ashes into diamonds as a way to remember an extraordinary person. Despite the large stream of people I've lost to death over the years, the first person who sprang to mind was my art teacher way back in the 1950's. She was an amazing person. And she died in Paris! How cool was that!

The second person I thought of was myself for no other reason than sheer vanity. Anything left from my estate would go to that, a huge diamond! My close friend Rock'n Rose often refers to me as her beautiful friend. This way, that would continue every time she extended her hand. Aside from putting my gigantic ego in check, it dawned on me that I'm probably going to outlive my money.

However I have stormy-weather friends who are plenty worthy of becoming diamonds! Two passed away last decade, Pat and Margaret. They still shine brightly in my memory with a radiant brilliance that will never fade long as I am alive.

Cat and dog ashes are turned into diamonds as well! Every animal companion of mine was also worthy of one.

Diamonds are pretty, but similar in appearance. It's the cut and setting that makes them stand out. I would like to see more essence of spirit shining thru from these funeral trinkets.

For example, Margaret's would have been showy to reflect her taste and Pat's would display a classic yet distinctive cut and setting that would immediately catch the eye.

The same applies to animals. My cat Tasha was a Russian Blue with the heart of a lioness. Dogs over five times her size ran when she charged them. My dog Coco was impish and mischievous. Had she been born a person, I'm sure she would have been a practical jokester.

I would need to see a dash of those characteristics in the design; otherwise it would be just another piece of jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment