-->

Friday, November 15, 2019

NUMBER NINE


I receive lots of compliments on my smile. And I must agree it's quite impressive. But it didn't come cheaply or easily, much less naturally. The inside of my mouth is a varied assortment of bridges, crowns, and an implant. I probably would have saved myself tons of money had I just gotten dentures at some previous point in the past, say the 8th Grade. However at this stage of my life I'd rather not go that route.

Last week I finally had my bad tooth extracted. After a terrible summer of numerous big out-of-the blue expenses it was the soonest I could afford it. Also I required a bone graft which will take several months to heal before a permanent bridge can be done.

This is my third bridge. And my ninth tooth extracted during my lifetime.

I may be nearing 70 but I take my looks as seriously as any 16 year old out there!

At age 12 I was scheduled to get braces but my parents backed out accusing the orthodontist of gouging.This was due to the fact he had one set price for the procedure. They thought my teeth weren't all that crooked to start. As I got older I discovered they turned down a bargain! Due to the fact my bite doesn't come together in the normal way I've had all manner of problems and expense with my teeth.

The last time I experienced a tooth extraction I was so heavily medicated that I needed a neighbor to almost carry me out to the car afterward. This time I was just heavily numbed.

My friend Marie offered to go with me. But since I was capable of driving myself home I saw no reason for inconveniencing her and wasting her entire morning.

Later in the day Marie came over bringing a big chocolate brownie chock full of delicious looking pecans. Unfortunately, I couldn't eat it. Nuts are on my Verboten List, at least for the time being. I wrapped it up and put it in my garage freezer. I can enjoy it next spring after the bone graft heals. Cakes, cookies, most pastries freeze well. Ironically the only dessert that doesn't is ice cream! Once opened it forms icky ice crystals that make it taste yucky.

I was prescribed nothing for pain, just an antibiotic to prevent infection. I bought extra strength Tylenol but didn't need it. After the numbness wore off there was only mild, but tolerable discomfort. I experienced more agony last summer when I injured my foot, but just suffered thru it and I survived.

The morning after surgery I felt fine. It was surprising how little pain was involved in the entire procedure. Perhaps it gets easier each time. After all this was number nine, hardly my first rodeo.

I brought the tooth home in my purse. I told friends I'd show it to them the next time we met for lunch. And if they were really good, I'd let them hold it.

No comments:

Post a Comment