-->

Saturday, November 19, 2016

REPAIRS, RED PEPPERS, & REVERSE MORTGAGES


Visiting developing countries is fun and interesting because you know when the visit is over you're returning to something much better. As for my notion of making one my future home, the reality was rather disenchanting. However, now that we've elected a man so vile, dangerous, and worthy of contempt as our president, I'm wondering if I made a big mistake!

Whether expatriating or remaining; there is one thing I must do first and that is fix up my house. It needs many repairs and less than half are now completed. But I must wait, because I'm hemorrhaging  money!

Plus I'm trying to save enough for another exploratory trip. I still might expatriate! Thanks to the dreadful outcome of the election, it's back on the table.

I'd like to find a job that I could do at home, one that would at least pay for my groceries. My Spam file is constantly full of those, but all are scams! I found a few that weren't, but the pay is paltry and sporadic.

After returning from Thailand, I asked my financial advisor about a reverse mortgage. Looking into it, he said it would be perfect for me because I have no one with whom to leave anything. (High five! I did something right, AGAIN!) However he wants me to put it off as long as possible, which I intend to do.

I've heard plenty of horror stories concerning those. One person told me he'd burn his house down for the insurance before he'd ever get one! Plus I have an elderly friend who signed on for one and they pulled all manner of shady numbers on her. She fell for their TV commercial. It was the one featuring the washed-up actor everyone thought was dead. And he may as well be if he'd shill for a crooked company like that! She ended up suing them. She won, but they put her thru hellfire!

Also she received help from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau which has cracked down and ended numerous predatory practices against consumers.This falls under the Dodd-Frank Act which Trump now seeks to eliminate!!! --Thank you, all of you SUCKERS who voted for this man!!!

If the Dodd-Frank Act is eliminated, I will be leery about a reverse mortgage. As it stands now there are things already that make me nervous. I've heard they can't take your house away. --- Oh yes they can!!!

If you ever become so poor as unable to pay your taxes and insurance, you'll be out on the street! Ditto if you are unable to maintain your home. As to maintenance, their standards may be different from mine. I let repairs slide to afford my 2 exploratory trips.

Plus I’d like to take another big, exotic trip, or two, or three before I taste the cosmic dust. I'd hate to return from vacation only to discover I no longer owned my home. Anyway, a reverse mortgage is on hold.

Last  January, after returning from Asia I was in terrible shape. It was a major health scare & a wake-up call! As much as I hate it, nearly everything I eat now is salad based. I'm incorporating as many colorful vegetables & fruits into my diet as possible.

I am not expecting to live forever. My goal is to avoid hospitals or a nursing home. Of course I can’t control everything! Just standing at my mailbox I could be hit by a car/stray bullet/comet/ lightning, etc. But what I can control I have an obligation to, out of respect for myself and my body. Plus there are benefits, I can fit into all my smaller size clothes, again!

The holidays are nearly upon us, but sadly, because of the election, I am in no frame of mind to celebrate.  Next January a sleazy con man takes office as our Commander in Chief!

No comments:

Post a Comment