-->

Saturday, July 2, 2016

PERSONAL UPDATE


If you are what you eat, I’m now a plant. Others tend to regard me as a fruit or nut. But in the evenings I’m a couch potato. And when I’m all tarted up I’m one hot tomato!  LOL! -- OK, enough with the stale clichés!

Recently, I had a health scare. Since I can’t afford to do any hospital time, I’ve dramatically changed my diet; vegetables, fruit, lean proteins only. None of the yummy goodies I love! If I cheated, I was punished with pain!

My friend Marie, has been into nutrition and exercise for years. It shows! She’s in her 70’s and looks 50! Marie has a trim, curvy physique. And I mean actual curves, NOT rolls of fat out-of-shape women want you to think are attractive. Marie is fit! She is also into martial arts and can disarm an assailant with a weapon. In other words, she is one of the more awesome people on this planet.

She accompanied me while grocery shopping and pointed out the best choices for the most value.

My garage freezer was filled with pastry & ice cream. Every time I opened it, I became depressed. “Throw that stuff out!” Marie kept telling me. I told her I couldn’t bring myself to do it. That was tantamount to throwing away money! “If you keep seeing it, you’re going to convince yourself you can handle it and you can’t!” she insisted.  I pouted. “Eventually,” she continued, “you may get to a point you can, in small portions, occasionally, but you’re not there, yet!”

Two houses over, lives a family with plenty of kids, Catholics I’m guessing. I brought one of their teenage sons over, explained my situation and told him he was welcome to anything in my garage freezer. I even supplied bags. Of course he was happy! I returned to my miserable diet.

Total strangers used to scold me for indulging in desserts. “You are what you eat,” they’d say.

 “I’m sweet!” I’d reply.  And I’m still sweet! I like a spoonful of honey in green tea to make it palatable. Plus I like one in plain Greek yogurt mixed with cinnamon & walnuts.

During my last dentist visit I told the hygienist that I Googled my symptoms and was in a state of dire panic over what I found! “Don’t take anything Dr. Google says too seriously,” she advised, “it’ll just mess with your head.” 

However it was the Health Clinic that told me to go straight to the Emergency Room after I described my symptoms!

Well the results of my tests have been revealed. Whew! NO heart problems or diabetes! The later is a downright miracle considering my lust for sweets!

Plus I was concerned about the state of my bones. Twelve years ago I was told by a chiropractor that I had deterioration in my left hip. My mother suffered from osteoporosis. According to my tests, I’m at low risk and my bones are strong. Guess there’s lots of calcium in all that Ben & Jerry’s ice cream I was enjoying!

Seriously, after the chiropractor visit, I bought weights and started working out while watching the news. I also started skipping a step while climbing my stairs. And I made it a habit to use my left hand more when doing chores, working the left side of my body.

My current health issues stem from worsening neuropathy which is diet related. I’ve been doing a good job of controlling pain just by being careful what I eat. I still feel weird sensations in my feet right up thru my calves, but it doesn’t hurt.

During my doctor’s visit, I mentioned my diabetic brother who can eat anything he desires while on medication. “That’s the wrong path,” I was told. Since I’m not on medication, now, I should stay that way. Too many people rely on medication to solve their problems.

Several years ago, I was having lunch with a couple women my age. They began expounding upon all their medical issues, hospital stays, & medications. I felt out of the loop! “I have acid reflux,” I spoke up.  They glared t me as if to say, “That’s kid stuff, now shut up!”

Well guess what, my acid reflux is GONE! And I lived in dire agony with that for years! And I must say, I love the way I look. My tummy hasn’t been this taut since I was in Junior High. I can shop for snug clothes, again. I’m back! My skin looks even younger than it did before. -- Yes, go right ahead and hate me!!! I am proud of being as healthy as I am. 

Plus I’m never hungry! As long as I stick to this diet, I can eat as much as I want and never gain weight! Yes, I’d rather have potato chips & dip as a snack (and I can still have it as an occasional treat) but I must never allow it to become habit, again.

People have told me I’m lucky that my body gave me warnings and I had time to turn things around. Others aren’t so fortunate, I hear. But I think others do get warnings! They just choose to ignore them and live in denial or they just don’t want to make changes.

The doctor wants me to start taking GABA (a natural tranquilizer) for my anxiety. Honestly, I don’t feel I need it. I’m plenty serene and happy in my home where I spend much of my time. It’s when I get behind the wheel that the nerves really kick-in. -- But that’s a good thing! It keeps me alert!

Another BIG phobia of mine has always been public speaking. But now, I can stand up in front of a crowd at Business Networking events and perform live commercials. Yes, I feel tremendous tension, but I use that to energize me. I want to keep my anxiety and channel it. Now I control it rather than it controlling me. 

I’ll try the GABA, but it will be the lowest dosage possible.

It’s a relief to know I can’t die from neuropathy, but if I revert back to my old ways, I could still die of a stroke or heart attack. Even worse, I could end up in the hospital and that would ruin me financially.

I’ll continue being a plant, but only the ones that improve my life. However I can’t control everything!

Several years back a stray bullet from out of nowhere (the source was never discovered) pierced my neighbor’s screen and shattered their indoor fountain. From the angle it struck, it could have just as easily hit me standing in front of my mailbox! But I don’t allow anxiety to prevent me from living my life.

I still worry about the burning pressure I sometimes feel in my left arm. The doctor told me not to obsess about it, if I focus too much on something I draw it to me and it will happen. -- Well, I’m not so sure about that!!!

For decades now, I’ve been focusing mental energy, sending vibes streaming throughout the universe, LOTTO WINNER! PUBLISHER’S CLEARING HOUSE SWEEPSTAKES! BIG MONEY OVER HERE! THIS WAY! And I’m still waiting!

One more thing, I’m NOT flakey! Packaged breakfast cereal is out in the trash!

No comments:

Post a Comment