-->

Saturday, June 25, 2016

TO EXPATRIATE, OR NOT


Visiting Thailand was one of the highlights of my life, but I don’t want to live there. I didn’t care for the distance, the complex language, food, heat, or squat toilets.

In Ecuador, the national sport aside from cockfighting is Gouge-the-Gringo. There are 2 sets of prices. Although still cheaper than here, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And every day life is so different, navigating will be confusing. For example, bills aren’t paid thru the mail or online, this is a cash society! You must show up at each individual office, stand in a long line and hope you don’t have to return the following day. This sounds like bother and stress to me.

Plus I was warned, don’t pay anything ahead! The concept is misunderstood and it’ll just disappear in someone’s pocket!

Despite the number of North Americans expatriating, there is no existing organization or network to assist in navigating the local culture. I was advised to go to the local coffee houses where Expats hang-out and strike up conversations.
 
I’ve learned from past experience that when you are part of a couple (this can be a friend or relative) people are more willing to step up and be of assistance. When you are alone, they’re quicker to distance themselves and leave you to your own devices.

I’ve also been told that neighbors will be of help. Well, if they are anything like my neighbors here after my father’s death, I won’t be able to count on them for spit!

Should a zombie apocalypse ever become a reality; I’d better learn how to wield a Katana fast or else find a bayonet with a flame-thrower. Also when you’re alone you’re more likely to fall into the radar of the wrong element.

I thought Spanish would be easier to learn than Thai and I bought several books. However by the time I moved ahead a chapter, I’d already forgotten everything I learned in the previous one! Friends tell me this is age related. Whatever! It’s frustrating! And learning the language is a must!

As far as a future home, I just wasn’t feeling it in either place. I was explaining this to an acquaintance whose husband was a pilot. She repeated, “I told you so!” so many times I could swear I was hearing a parrot with a 4 word vocabulary!

The Expats I spoke with all told me they didn’t regret their decision and were happy. But that doesn’t mean I would be! I’d have problems adjusting to Third World life.

Due to health issues, inflation, & home repairs, I’m feeling continued pressure from the universe to leave!

I’m a tasseologist. (I read tea leaves for fun.) Anyway, I consulted the tea leaves. The message I received was to make tracks out of here, FAST! However, since I have a 20% accuracy rate, I’m still hesitant. And I’M the decider here!

Certainly, I could live far cheaper in a developing country. Plus food is not only inexpensive but healthier there. Due to the eternal spring of the Andes, fresh fruits & vegetables are available year round.

Also I want to be able to travel and see more of the world before I get too old and sick. However, with my restrictive diet, health issues, the discomfort of Economy Class and the airport aggravation nowadays; I’m wondering if I’ve already reached that point. On the other hand, I still have the desire.

But I really love my home! Barring a hospital stay, I can afford to remain here for a few more years. Perhaps by then, Cuba (or someplace else) may become a retirement haven for expats. But I haven’t completely ruled out Ecuador. We’ll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment