-->

Friday, July 8, 2016

PALE & PROUD IN THE SUNSHINE STATE


Florida should be called “The Skin Cancer State” especially for fair-skinned people like me. My skin doesn’t tan, it just burns and peels. So I need to be extra careful. My foundation make-up is sunscreen and that only! I’m also fond of broad-brimmed hats.

I live in Vero Beach the jewel of the Treasure Coast where the Tropics begin. The area is part of the old Spanish Main. Three Hundred years ago a fleet of Spanish ships all laden with treasure skimmed our coast and sailed directly into a severe hurricane. In the morning light of that July, the fleet was wrecked and lost in the depths of the Atlantic along with its treasures.

But the Spanish treasures turn up from time-to-time. Naturally, treasure hunters around the world are drawn here. Some have been quite successful; others have perished in the pursuit.

Imagine if modern beachgoers entered a time loop and suddenly discovered dead and broken bodies floating in the surf where they play or the sands where they lounge. And if the surviving Spaniards entered a similar loop they would likely find themselves floating in green slime as thick as guacamole. Recently, the Stuart beach was closed over the 4th of July weekend due to algae. Stuart is my old hometown just an hour south of Vero Beach.

This is beyond sad, it’s a disgrace! We have the wrong people in office! This toxic damage to the environment should be their No. 1 priority! Is their problem greed or are they just evil, perhaps both! Governor Rick Scott, I think you are a slimeball, muck for a schmuck! Please come to the Treasure Coast and take a swim in the waters off the Stuart beach.

I recall Senior Skip Day back in 1969.This was a perk of being a senior in my old High School. We all showed up for roll call that spring day and then headed out to the parking lot where we piled into cars. Our swimsuits under our clothes we headed for the Stuart beach for a full day of fun!

And FUN it was!!! Of course I was lobster red at the end of the day and my skin was peeling for a month afterward, but that day was worth it! Also my face and body were covered with even more freckles which I hated! And worse, I would be entering Junior College covered with these.

Later, when I entered the workforce with no time or interest in the beach, my freckles faded. I was happy to see them go and didn’t want them back!

My favorite time for swimming was always during the hours right before dusk when the sun is lower in the sky. But I’ve heard this is when the sharks are feeding. So I stopped.

Just last August I was swimming and shivering in the cold Pacific waters off the Galapagos Islands, nothing like our warm Atlantic summer waters here on the Treasure Coast! Perhaps I’m prejudice, but I think our beaches are prettier, too. Or at least they used to be before the green muck! – Heads should roll because of this, starting with our Governor!!!  He is widely hated here on the Treasure Coast for valid reasons. There should be jail time as well as steep fines for this shameful and inexcusable damage to our environment!!! My heart goes out to the marine life, these waters are their home and it’s been ruined!!!

Hopefully now that this issue has made the national news, those responsible will be forced to clean up this mess of their own making! Ugh!

Anyway, my Galapagos experience drove the point home that I am no longer a beach person. I really didn’t enjoy that part of the trip. And if I never set foot on a boat again, it will be too soon! As a child, my family owned a boat and I loved it!

I spent so much time on the beach growing up, I think I just O.D.ed on it! Now it’s high altitudes and mountain views that excite me. They feel more exotic, plus I enjoy a cool nip in the air. The Treasure Coast is a special area and its scenic beauty needs to be restored. But every place deserves to be protected from polluters!I love Vero Beach, but if I moved, I wouldn’t want to be anyplace near an ocean.

I carry an umbrella with me at all times. It also doubles as my sunbrella! Sometimes I receive odd stares from people and I want to scream, “Haven’t you fools ever heard of parasols!” The heat is brutal here and the sun’s rays are damaging!

Recently, I visited Ecuador & Thailand. In both countries, it is common to see women walking around holding open umbrellas on sunny days. In Third World countries people are savvier about protecting their skin.

To my mind, the only ones who look good in dark skin are those who are born with it. There is nothing wrong with being pale. I embrace it! Plus I love the firmness of my face at age 65. No crows feet here and I love to laugh!

Enjoy the beach if that’s your thing, but be wise about it. Stay out of algae infested waters and WEAR SUNBLOCK!

 

SUNSCREEN SPF 30 +
 

My fair visage

A polished alabaster

Not a Dracula pallor

Or chalky ghost white

Suntans often mutate

Into ruptures and furrows

As in cheap vinyl

Or old cracked leather

And the fate befalling Icarus

Not to mention or forget

The dreaded, deadly melanoma

So please refrain from snide observation

While I slather my sensitive epidermis

With UVA and UVB protection

Pale is better

No comments:

Post a Comment