-->

Friday, May 6, 2016

BANGING ON DEATH'S DOOR


Banging? According to the Health Clinic and others I’ve been storming it with a battering ram, or at least I was. Perhaps I’m being over dramatic here. I hope I am!

People always do a double-take when they learn my age. At 65, I look closer to 45 and a young 45 at that! It’s hard for anyone to see me as a senior citizen. But suddenly I’ve got a lot of old foggie issues.

After returning from Indochina, I wondered if the overwhelming fatigue would end. And I felt the cold more intensely, now. Winter finally arrived after I returned to Florida. During the evenings, I was wrapping myself in a blanket as I sat in my recliner, which I never did before.

Everything below the knees finally shrank back to normal size and my regular shoes feel comfortable again. But new and more serious problems emerged. My feet & ankles started turning beet red as painful stinging, burning, & feelings of electric shock ensued. Previously, I had a touch of neuropathy, but the symptoms were far and few between, now it’s worse & daily! Plus I feel tightness over my ankles like rubber bands. Sometimes my calves would go numb.

Occasionally, I felt the fluttering of panic in my chest similar to an anxiety attack while relaxing. Sometimes there’s a burning pressure in my left arm. I’ve had this on & off for several years. I’ve always thought it was just arthritis.

I Googled my symptoms. According to one site, I was experiencing 3 of the 4 stages leading up to a heart attack. (They even displayed pictures of my feet & ankles!) Another agreed that I was suffering the symptoms of cardiovascular disease. Yet another stated these were the symptoms of Diabetic neuropathy. Gosh, I was a mess! Or were they just selling a product and trying to scare me.

I went to the Health Clinic to schedule an appointment, I told them my symptoms. They instructed me to go straight to the Emergency Room. I refused! I don’t have Insurance, if I was hospitalized it would ruin me financially! If that happened, my life would be over anyway. I’d rather just go home and die in the house I loved.

A few weeks later, I returned for my appointment. I must have seemed like dead woman walking. In the meantime, I’d changed to a Spartan died and scheduled tests with Life Line Screening for early June, which was the soonest available date.

I’d been warned that my triglycerides were too high and must make changes back in 2012. And I did try! But then came my 2 big trips and who wants to adhere to a diet on vacation? That’s why it’s called a VACATION!!! Besides, trying the local cuisine is part of the fun!

My one great sin in life is that I crave food that actually TASTES GOOD! I love jumbo egg omelets oozing with cheese, hash browns, buttery biscuits, pancakes with butter & syrup, pasta swimming in cream sauce, flavored potato chips with dip, & butter-cream topped pastries, not to mention 5 cheese pizza & lasagna. – Keep those foul tasting vegetables away from me! Friends have always been mystified as to why I’m not morbidly obese!

However those days of enjoying food with wild abandon are over. I’ve completely changed my diet. Everything delicious has been banished from my fridge and pantry. I DIDN’T SAY I WAS HAPPY! This diet feels like punishment.

Also I’m trying to reduce stress in my life, at least for the time being.

I’m surprised I didn’t have a heart attack at the airport in Dubai on my return flight! I was struggling to pull myself from the jaws of a full-blown anxiety attack. It was a major stressor! My trip took a toll on me, but I don’t regret it.

I felt relieved after my clinic appointment, but not completely.

The doctor said he wasn’t worried about me, because I’m a slim woman. (I had dropped 10 lbs since the last time I walked in there.) Plus I’m a non-smoker. -- My father was a trim man who didn’t smoke and he had 2 heart attacks and also suffered a stroke!

Dad was far more careful about his diet than I ever was! And he was active! After he retired, he constantly was working outside in the yard or on the house. (I’ve always said if God intended me to do manual labor he wouldn’t have given me such small hands.) Dad should have lived to be 110! Yet, he died at 85 the same age as his chain-smoking father, but he was sick for longer.

In my case, as for a stroke or my heart, I’ve planned for a sneak attack. I told my friend Rose that if she does not receive at least one email from me a day, to grab the key I gave her and come over to claim my body before the bugs do.

Everything I’m doing now may not be enough. But what gets me most, is that my last meal will be a > #)$ ^(*% < salad! I’d rather depart this planet with a pizza on my breath, butter-cream frosting on my lips and a big smile on my face.

I’ve considered just eating what I love and letting the inevitable happen, but that feels too much like giving up. I’m seeing improvement with this despised diet, but outside of magically losing pounds fast, no miracles. I’ll know more at the latter part of June when I return to the clinic for my test results from Life Line Screening.

I am not happy about this time line but I don’t have Insurance and it’s better than nothing.

If my tests turn up unfavorable and my days ahead are short, there will be no boo hooing here. Not from me and not about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment