-->

Sunday, May 1, 2016

BACK FROM SIAM, I AM


Actually, I’ve been back from Thailand for 3 months, now. My trip was amazing! I saw astounding sights and experienced an abundance of wondrous and marvelous things! Plus all of my guides made me feel as if they took special care of me. This was an ISRAMWORLD ORIENT tour and I highly recommend it!

I loved visiting Thailand and enjoyed lots of fun, plus I made memories to treasure! The architecture was spectacular and the shopping eye-popping!  I survived 7 flights during that trip. But it was worth every bit of the airline misery. And if the opportunity presented itself, I’d go back in a heartbeat! -- But I don’t want to move there.

Living someplace is far different than visiting as a tourist. But one must visit to learn. This is why exploratory trips are necessary.

I was hoping to fall in love with Thailand because I wasn’t feeling it in Ecuador. I compare it to finding a mate online. Someone may appear attractive and sound appealing, but then on a date you discover they have dirty fingernails, annoying habits, and smell bad. It doesn’t matter if they’re witty and show you a good time, because of these flaws you don’t want them permanently in your life.

I loved visiting the Soviet Union back in the Iron Curtain days, but there was no way I’d ever want to be a resident there.

Expats have told me, “Don’t bring the United States with you when you move, or else you’ll be unhappy.” Well, I’m quite fond of the U.S.  As an expatriate, I will feel like an exile.

For years, I’ve felt nudges from the universe telling me to leave; now they feel like shoves. My choice probably will be Ecuador. I just hope it won’t be too late!  I’ve been dragging my feet because it feels too much like a shotgun marriage. My heart will always belong to Vero Beach. I’ve enjoyed a wonderful life, here.

However, I can’t afford to stay much longer. Comfort and familiarity are becoming an expensive luxury. I remember actually thinking, “This would be the perfect point in time to die.” It would solve all of my problems. – As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for! To my horror, I realized this was a distinct possibility if I didn’t make changes quickly. My body was sending me warnings!

My last birthday was a significant one, 65 is a sobering age. In 15 years, I’ll be 80!  Just 15 years ago my father died. In my mind, it only seems like 5.

New developments have arisen putting a huge crimp in my timeline. All my plans for expatriating have been placed on hold, despite the fact that I need affordable Third World healthcare more than ever, now. I did not expect my health to take a downward dip this soon. No one is ever ready to be old.

No comments:

Post a Comment