-->

Saturday, May 16, 2015

WIGGY WOMAN ON THE LOOSE


A few TV seasons back, there was a sitcom titled: DON’T TRUST THE B (itch) IN APT. 23. In one episode, the B. warns her naive roommate never to trust women who wear wigs! They are sneaky & tricky, she claims. – I prefer to think of it as creative & resourceful!

Who wants to look the same every single day! That becomes tedious fast!

Whenever I slip into a wig, I change my make-up & clothing style to match the wig’s color & cut. It’s always a fun change without a permanent commitment. Sometimes I even wear a hat with a wig. When I get together with friends, sometimes they don’t recognize the stranger who shows up. You might say I’m a bit of a shape-shifter.

This past winter, I lived entirely in wigs, because I was letting my gray hair grow out. The first social gathering I attended, to debut my new gray, many had forgotten what my “natural” color actually had been. As one woman told me, “You have different hair every time I see you!”

I’m glad that I have the option of wigs.

However, not all wigs are created equal! I’ve paid more than I should for some that looked like a cheap, synthetic wig. Then others, that I bought on sale for $20 looked exactly like my own hair only better! A good wig requires no fussing. You just slip it on and you’re ready to go. I hate the ones that warrant lots of styling & spray!

Often, you must road test a wig to learn its quality; wear it in public, but only to places you’re unlikely to run into someone you know. Some wigs just don’t hold their shape and can end up looking a fright without layers of hairspray.

I’ve noticed that when I’m stuck in a bad wig; men & women regard me differently. Women look at me with pity as if thinking, “Poor thing, she’s probably battling cancer and that’s the best wig she can afford.” Men on the other hand, eye me with suspicion, as if I’ve got a Molotov cocktail in my tote and a lit match behind my back.

Nowadays, I only wash my good wigs in special shampoo. Back at our previous place, I used to wash them all in Woolite, and then hang them on the clothes-line behind our house. My father used to joke that people going by in boats probably thought I was one of those sickos who liked to kill and skin small animals.

Summer came early this year; I was forced to turn on my air conditioner back in March. Usually, I can hold out until June, or at least the end of May. When the A.C. goes on, it’s too hot for wigs!

Ready or not, my hair was cut! It’s now gray and the shortest it has ever been.

Time is quickly passing. The first of my 2 big trips will be upon me before too long. This way, I can get more accustomed to my new look and practice working with it, beforehand.

Many women, especially older ones, complain of being invisible. Personally, I think it’s their own fault. They allow themselves to become that way! Sometimes, being invisible is welcome and feels nice. You’re free to explore and see without being noticed. It can be liberating!

I feel that being a transformer is even more emancipating! I know I can always morph back into being me.

No comments:

Post a Comment