-->

Saturday, May 2, 2015

TWO FOR ECUADOR, ONE FOR THAILAND


Plans change! Rose, my great friend & travel buddy is unable to go to Thailand until 2017. Well, that will be too late for me! By then, I hope to be living either there or in South America. Thankfully our 2015 trip to Ecuador is still on.

I’m disappointed, but that’s life and stuff happens. A part of me felt stranded up a frozen creek without a flamethrower. However, her reasons for doing this are valid.

But there is no reason why I can’t go to Thailand, alone! Back in my 20’s I used to travel the world by myself all the time. So, I’ve already booked a flight for early 2016 and put a deposit down. I am determined to go!

Long decades have passed since I last traveled alone, but it’s something that I’ve always missed. Getting my wings chopped, plus the fact that no one would hire me, and I couldn’t get published, contributed to decades of severe depression along with other disorders.

But I’ve lived in postcard towns on the Treasure Coast my entire life, others swarm here for vacation. So I really have no right to complain.

After my father’s death, friends confessed they thought the first thing I’d do was take an exotic trip. Unfortunately, I couldn’t do that and maintain this beautiful house, both. My home came first! I fell in love with this place the first time I stepped thru the door. It will be wrenching to give up this house.

From what I hear, air travel is more of an ordeal than during the 1970’s, and things rarely went smoothly back then! It’s awful enough there are dangerous ding-a-ling terrorists, now we have to worry about cuckoo co-pilots in the cockpit, too!

I’ll be flying Arab Emirates Airlines out of Orlando. It will be a 16 hour trip to Dubai for a 3 hour layover. Then it’s another 6 hours to Bangkok. A day & night each way stuck in a 17 inch Economy Class seat! I’m getting air sick just thinking about it.

Egads, and they’ve shrunken the seats, too! Ugh! Since I’m claustrophobic I’d better bone-up on my autohypnosis. The Ecuador trip comes first and Rose doesn’t take up a lot of seat space. Plus it’s a far shorter flight!

Odds are that on the lengthy Orlando to Dubai flight I’ll have to climb over 2 passengers who are built like giant bloated toads from Disneyland! -- I had my seats changed. Now, I’ll only have to jump over 1 bloated toad. You would think they’d give International travelers a break and provide more comfortable seats for long flights. But no, that would interfere too much with their bottom line.

The longest I’ve ever been on a plane was my 14 hour trip to the Soviet Union when communism was in full flower back in 1979. However on that trip, there were 2 layovers to break up the monotony and stretch the legs. Plus I’m a lot older now.

Due to my age, I’m at risk for deep vein thrombosis, (the formation of a blood clot in the legs from inactivity) this can lead to pulmonary embolism which can be fatal.

I already suffer from an occasional touch of neuropathy. The best way to describe that is to imagine a mischievous elf under your desk placing your foot in a tray of hot coals. The sensation is brief, but it really wakes you up. (Oooh kiddies you get lots of cool medical conditions when you get old like me!) After I move to a country where I can actually afford the health care, I’ll have my neuropathy looked into further.

I plan on doing exercises in my seat like lifting my knees to my chin one at a time. Also I’ll get up at regular intervals and go to the back of the plane and walk in place for 15 minutes.

I’ve read that women flying alone these days are more subject to sexual harassment than ever before. I’m hoping my new granny hair will dissuade any perverts. However if I’m seated next to someone with a senior fetish, I intend to make a scene. And believe me, my voice carries!

I didn’t want an aisle seat because I hate being jabbed in the head by elbows or being slapped in the face with carry-on luggage. A middle seat is the worst of all! You’re squashed like a marshmallow inside a toad s’more, plus you’re constantly battling the people on both sides for an arm rest.

I’ve heard it said that life’s journeys are to be treasured and not the destination. Oh really!!! I’m excited and looking forward to seeing Thailand, but I am dreading this lengthy flight.

At least I’m not booked on Air Malaysia. Yikes, I could end up in a parallel universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment