-->

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

THE DOOR ON MY FLOOR

After returning from lunch with a friend, I was surprised to see a group of kids perched in the branches of my giant oak tree. All were from the neighborhood. "We thought no one lived here," they told me. -- This has been my residence since 1999!!!

I came to the realization that my house had started to take on an abandoned look. So, I've been digging deep into my savings for  long needed repairs and replacements.

We are now well into hurricane season. One replacement needed to be completed quickly!

Urgently, I was determined to get a hurricane resistant front door. My old one had too much glass that could easily shatter. Also it opened in, rather than out. During the last storm water came flooding thru from underneath as I watched my door being sucked in & out with the wind. I feared it would blow in at any minute bringing the hurricane inside. My heart was pounding as I held my breath. I will never forget it!

I called a store a few streets over for an estimate. The most INEXPENSIVE door was $4020., plus a $90. permit fee. And that did NOT include painting the door! -- Recently I had just paid a ridiculously high price for badly needed new blinds. It seems everything in Vero Beach is priced for people who have unlimited disposable income!

My friend Rose agreed the cost was outrageous. She gave me the name of a reliable handyman. He helped me choose a sturdy door from HOME DEPOT. Also he installed and painted it for a lot less. This was a godsend!

I looked into repairing my driveway as well. It is badly cracked, ugly, and embarrassing to me. I was told a stamped driveway was the way to go. Supposedly it would be reasonably priced. Well, I discovered to my horror there is no inexpensive way to repair it.

One man became particularly obnoxious. He stated that I should have known better! Because concrete costs $$$$, paint cost $$$$, labor costs $$$$! -- My PURPOSE in getting estimates was to LEARN THE COST! Instead, I got someone trying to make me feel stupid!

"You are failing to maintain your home!" he declared with indignation. (Actually I heard this once before from another obnoxious business owner.) I told him I am a single woman on a fixed income. I'm maintaining my house to the best of my ability!

"Well you paid a pretty penny for this house," he replied, "and I'll bet your taxes and insurance aren't cheap!"

I informed him that I had inherited the house. And if I didn't have to pay taxes and insurance, I could afford a new driveway! The last thing I said to him was, "If I ever win the lottery, I'll call you!" -- Actually I never want to see him again!!!

He waved me off as if to say, "The hell with you!" I noticed he didn't leave me a business card.

Looks as if I'm going to be living with the cracks. Besides, I've got more serious concerns.

Hopefully next summer I'll be able to afford new garage doors. My current ones are old and flimsy. I doubt they will stand up to anything beyond a category 2 hurricane. -- I'm hoping this won't be the year we're hit by a stronger one!

My new front door has another big advantage. Without all that glass, it's more private! Jehovah's witnesses can no longer sneak up on me during my Saturday afternoon movie. And with the new blinds, neighbors will never again be startled by the naked Dianne song and dance! My own unique version of twerking!

No comments:

Post a Comment