-->

Thursday, July 12, 2012

HIGH TEA & A TIMES

The "A" in my title stands for Attire. I love to dress! My plan is to age as ungracefully as possible. Early in the oh-oh decade, Vero Beach was a grand place for lavish Teas. Many were catered with live musicians, even singers. These were the perfect occasions to costume myself as only I can.

I met my good friend Eileen at a Celtic Society Tea. Eileen was a former member. Now she came only for the Teas. We were seated alone at separate tables. For the convenience of the servers she was forced over to mine. We clicked instantly despite the age difference between us.

Born in London, Eileen was a naturalized citizen. She still spoke with a prominent British accent. Often she shared prized photos. In her youth, Eileen possessed the face and figure of a young Elizabeth Taylor.

Eileen was an active member in an association of military women. She had served in youth during WWII England. Also her deceased husband was an officer in the U.S. Air Force. This group was holding their own Tea in a couple weeks. I was invited as her guest.

The military women were all dressed to the nines with hats, gloves, and big gaudy jewelry. I thought I fit right in. Later, I learned that I raised eyebrows with my low-cut dress. (My cleavage is never more revealing than what you see network TV!) Also my dress was ankle-length and elegant.

Most of the women were of Eileen's vintage. Eileen herself, never had problems with my attire. -- She thought I dressed well!

The group also held luncheons once a month. Often I attended as Eileen's guest.

Sometimes I wear mini skirts. But always with leggings or opaque hose, often with boots. -- Nothing indecent is exposed!

Frequently, my trendy styles were the cause of disapproving frowns and catty whispers. Once, right in front of me, a member queried Eileen as to why she brought me so often.

Another Military Tea was coming up, I happened to be standing behind Eileen when she opened her email. An acquaintance asked whether she was bringing that redhead whose boobs were always hanging out!

One lady actually told me I should cover my cleavage! -- I thought I was among adult women not 14 yr. old Catholic school girls! Besides, I wonder if they've ever been over to the beach. My clothes are mid-Victorian by comparison.

I pride myself on being a sharp dresser. But this is Vero Beach where the fashion backward come to die. Also I think they were nibbling on sour grapes at the buffet table.

After the hurricanes of 04, the Teas became far and few between, as well as many luncheons and other events. The ones that remained were far less elaborate. Property was destroyed, lives were uprooted, prices rose and people were feeling less sociable.

The grand ole tea times were nearly blown away by the fetter bands of 2 back-to-back hurricanes in 1 year.

However, my friendship with Eileen remained.

No comments:

Post a Comment