-->

Sunday, July 22, 2012

BOYFRIENDS ARE OVER-RATED

I dated more in my 50's than ever before in my life. Back in my 20's and 30's when I was blonde and beautiful, I didn't date at all. Not even one time!

Back in my 20's at the family business, we employed a woman 5 yrs older than myself. She was plain and pudgy, but she had a new date almost every night. My father was always throwing this in my face! He used to say, "You are far better looking than her, so how come you're the one sitting home every night?"

Hmmm, let me see. First, she was a tramp who'd just as soon show her ass as her elbow. Second, she had no compunction about sneaking around with married men. -- It's interesting my father saw her as a role model for me. But then Dad was himself seeing a woman who had no qualms about sleeping with a married man.

I'm not the flirtatious sort. I've never gone to bars. And I'm not the type to drift from one affair to another. That's not the kind of woman I admire. Nor did I want to end up married with kids. I'd already had all the family I could stomach for one lifetime. I didn't want to exchange one prison for another.

During my 40's I dated 2 men who had recently separated from, but were not yet divorced from their wives. (But the paperwork was in progress.) Now my father suddenly gets all moral and tells me it's poor judgement. I pointed out we just going to dinner and a movie. -- Not to Motel 6!

At age 50, I ended up with a big house and no mortgage. Suddenly men were finding me attractive. All my crazy baggage didn't matter anymore! I turned down a lot of dates, too. Because I often felt like the bottom of the barrel was trying to scrape itself against me.

Florida is notorious for gigolos. My friend Margaret used to caution me about this. She was a retired doctor. Lots of guys viewed her as a meal ticket. Even me, now! And I can't afford to be any one's Sugar Mama.

Many of the men who hit on me were 20 yrs younger. Perhaps they were hoping I'd croak soon and they'd get everything I own.

All of my dating experiences have been negative. They were brief. And I was elated when the relationships ended.

Alone, I find myself much happier. Life is so sublime when you're not dealing with someone else's nonsense, or worse drama! I don't even want dramas on my TV screen, or romances either.

I prefer my female friends, because we are always there for each other. Yet we can enjoy our own space and lives apart.

If I never date again, I would be happy. I'm not going to live my life according to other's expectations.

I don't require another person to validate me. I validate me! Truthfully, I don't like company. My house is my private lair. My dusty little piece of paradise.

My father will forever remain the only man I ever loved.

I am not waiting for some dream prince to come along and sweep me off my feet. That is not my role in this metaphor I call "The Forest of Enchantment." With all these ghosts, I am more of a necromancer. Also troll-slayer in training. Because the forest is full of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment