-->

Saturday, July 3, 2021

GRRR, NEVER AGAIN!!!

 

Awhile back I was approached by a Facebook "friend" a man I'll call "D. Wurst" to collaborate on a children's book based on a poem he'd written, the main character a superhero I'll call "The Blandman."

Inexplicably The Blandman transformed into the guardian of children everywhere. This is all D.W. brought to the table. It was up to me to supply everything else! I got busy creating a story explaining the transformation, plus a villain, and other characters all with background stories, plus an outline.

However I made it clear to D.W. this was his baby and he was going to have to write his novel himself; I would help him every step of the way, chapter by chapter.

D.W. was actually a gifted wordsmith, whereas I'm more of a plot person. I thought as a team we'd be dynamic together! I've collaborated on books before. And of course there were creative conflicts but nothing we couldn't get past. 

Meanwhile I was editing my novel The House of Sin and Splendor. I told Wurst he could be working on the first chapter while I was doing this. I gave him tips along with advice.

Then I discovered he didn't want a collaborator, but a free ghostwriter!!! Now he was claiming he didn't feel qualified to write his own book, because previously he'd only written poetry & short stories. Good grief! It's only a small leap to go from writing a short story to a novel. He had the ability!!!

Besides everything else I'd done, I was now expected to write his entire book for him. Aside from the work and time involved, my vision is impaired. This was a tremendous favor to ask of a Facebook acquaintance! Plus he would be taking all the credit.

I told him nothing doing and presented him with two choices; either he paid me for the ghostwriting OR he relinquished all claim and let me proceed with it on my own. He angrily told me to forget it!

Already I had put in a lot of work and didn't want it to go to waste. Again, I reminded him that if he would write this novel himself, he'd continue to get free help and ideas from me.  -- He refused to even try!

I was sick at the thought of discarding this story that I'd put so much effort into. So I decided to eliminate his character The Blandman entirely and make it my novel by tweaking and twisting this tale turning it into an adult novel and take it darker places. --The Blandman character was too silly for an adult novel anyway.

When I revealed my plans to him, he behaved like a whacked-out jerk, blew up, got nasty, and called me a plagiarist! (I didn't know it was possible to plagiarize from one's self!) I was stunned. Geez, this lazy entitled asshat refused to write his own book, yet begrudged me the right to use everything I'd created!

Reasoning with him was impossible.

I don't want him stinking up my life over this, so I won't proceed.  This would-be book is going to languish in limbo forever. And that's a crying shame!

He beat me to the punch by unfriending me on Facebook. However we were still connected on messenger so I fired off a message informing him that I'd abandoned the idea.

Plus I warned him that he is forbidden from using my MY PLOT or CHARACTERS should he find a sucker to write his book for him. This is my intellectual property and he does NOT have my permission! And I will stink up his life big time if he does!!!

NEVER AGAIN will I agree to collaborate on a book with anyone! Not only will it prevent problems like this one, but any creative conflicts as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment