-->

Thursday, July 22, 2021

GHOST MALL

 

Early in 2000 I remember a tech whizz stating that in just 10 years shopping malls would be obsolete. Frankly, I couldn't imagine it! Malls are not just for shopping, but social gatherings.

I am not a person who likes crowds or noise, but malls were an exception! These were fun places with a carnival atmosphere filled with lots of interesting eye candy; plus restaurants & cafes in all price ranges plus a nifty food court.

A mall was a wonderful place to meet with friends for lunch and go shopping afterward. And there was a movie theatre with multiple screens too! Everything you could possibly want for a fun filled day or evening! Even going alone always lifted my spirits.

Recently I met a friend for lunch at the food court. I recall when just finding a good parking space was difficult, but now the parking lot had so few cars I had my choice. Most of the stores had moved or closed down altogether.

I was surprised to see the AMC Theatre open since movie times are no longer listed in the newspaper. But I'll bet all 24 screens aren't playing anymore.

Half the eateries in the food court were gone and our choices were limited, but there were plenty of unoccupied tables to choose from. The other people I saw there were either senior citizens or close to it. -- Those of us considered the walking dead by the young.

Well it took more than the predicted 10 years, but sadly I saw it happening even before the corona virus; however this seemed to add the final nail. Such a pity!

Just walking around and window shopping used to be such a delight! All that glorious merchandise and the variety of items spread out before you! Unlike online, you could see it up close and even touch it.

Some merchandise I can see purchasing online only. However others it just doesn't make sense, plus it's far more expensive! There's postage, handling, tax, and now a replacement charge (which used to be voluntary) along with a carrier surcharge which is new. After all these are added in, sometimes it costs as much or more as the item itself! If that's not an incentive to shop at a brick & mortar store I don't know what is!

Once upon a time a customer didn't even have to pay postage, plus most companies included a free gift just for choosing them. Nowadays that seems incredible to say the least! 

Clothing creates a particular problem. I want to try it on before I buy! Yes, I've purchased clothes online and often ended up sending it back! I grit my teeth at having to pay costly postage both ways! Often clothes are manufactured in other countries and are miss-sized.

Usually a medium fits me, but not always. When going by actual size, if an outfit appears baggy on the model I order a size smaller. If it's clingy I go with the next larger size. I've found this method works best.

The virus aside, these days I don't go out that much anymore so I don't require as many clothes or accessories. But I sure miss those wondrous mall visits. Always they felt like a special treat!


No comments:

Post a Comment