-->

Saturday, May 1, 2021

HALF VACCINATED & IN LIMBO

 

I won't be fully vaccinated until the end of this month. I read that I must wait 2 weeks after that to be fully safe. As a senior I'm in the high risk category and a hospital stay would ruin me financially. So I'm going that extra mile and doing everything possible to stay Covid free.

 I enjoy my home, but I must admit the lack of diversion is starting to get to me.

Most of my friends have either died (not from Covid) or scattered. My entire social life is now limited to Facebook which I've come to enjoy despite less than positive experiences with some people, to put it mildly.

Even if I was able to get out, movie theatres remain closed and many restaurants I love have gone out of business. The ones that haven't now have shortened menus and higher prices due to diminished capacity.

I wish that when life regains some semblance of normalcy I could afford an exotic vacation somewhere. Unfortunately my dentist and the eye clinic have used up nearly all of my disposable income. 

It seems the price of everything has gone up since the pandemic. And the malls are all dying.

I can't fathom why shopping online is all that! For one thing, it's a lot more expensive! In addition to the price of the item & tax, you must pay postage & handling which in many cases adds at least another $10 plus there's a replacement fee should the item go missing in transit. And if the item turns out to be a disappointment you're forced to pay the return postage & insurance.  Plus some online places charge a restocking fee. -- Gadzooks! I'll take a brick and mortar store any day!

The poison cherry on top was when I was forced to give up my Starz/Showtime package again due to a sudden $60 increase to my bill. Just 2 months before I was told by a lady that my price was good for another year!!! But then I was informed by ATT that my special promotion had ended already!!!  GRRRR!

I can't stream because I'm told it's done thru the computer. Mine is old and I keep losing my connection. I'm currently not in a good position to buy a new one.

So I'm going back to renting DVDs from Redbox and recording commercial free films off TCM. The latter serves up little known gems like Native Son in addition to some over-rated turkeys.

Recently I wasted 2 hours of my life watching The Pumpkin Eater! This was a 3 star movie released in 1964 plus Anne Bancroft won an award for her performance as the wealthy, long suffering, mentally deranged wife & mother. It was one of the most boring, depressing, pointless pictures I have ever seen!  -- And that's the LAST thing I need right now!

I keep telling myself that I have no right to gripe since so many are worse off. And when I recall my life 30 years ago and everything that was going on then, (even with all the above) my life should feel like paradise now!

No comments:

Post a Comment