-->

Monday, May 10, 2021

THE ROBE

 

Its fabric is plush and the color a majestic royal blue. It feels as if being embraced by a benevolent spirit sheltering me with its warmth. For nearly 40 years it brought me comfort on those rare chilly Florida days and nights.

Unfortunately last winter its age was beginning to show badly, many times I had been forced to grab a needle & thread to repair seams & hems. My once beautiful garment after many years was looking ratty. -- However it still felt as wonderful against my flesh as ever!

In the back of my bedroom closet is a brand new pink one. It's been hanging there unused for several years now. I just couldn't bring myself to part with the old one! We have been thru so much together; my old life, my new one, and now my current one. I just couldn't let go!

They say a possession can't love you back, but my robe didn't need to, it gave me such glorious comfort.

The turning point came early in spring during a cool front. A neighbor showed up at my door uninvited. Suddenly I was embarrassed standing there garbed like a beggar.

As soon as the weather warmed, with much regret I rolled up my faithful old robe and threw it in the garbage bin.

However the day before garbage pick-up the temperature turned chilly again. I hurried out to the bin and retrieved my robe. It smelled of rotting fruit & vegetables, so I threw it in the wash. When I pulled it from the dryer it still felt just as heavenly as ever.

I've decided to wait until June before performing the dreaded disposal. Then, I'll have all summer and fall to prepare myself for the pink one hanging in my closet.

Parting will be difficult; not only will I be disposing of an article of clothing, but memories. Yes, some recalling miserable times, but also my triumphs and victories as well. But I will be making new memories swathed in pink. I must remember that!


No comments:

Post a Comment