-->

Sunday, March 21, 2021

THE LONGEST & SHORTEST MONTHS

 

Back in dinosaur times when I was a student and personal computers were something out of science fiction, March felt like the longest month of the year. Despite reality, the big holidays seemed long past and summer vacation far away.

The shortest month was August, probably because here in Florida school usually started the last week of that month. One year it actually started almost in the middle. Horrors!!! August was a busy month filled with shopping for school clothes and supplies along with dread of classes that were coming up fast.

After September arrived, it seemed forever until the holidays! Now that I'm a senior citizen all of this is reversed!

Now, once the calendar hits September, the holidays seem to arrive fast and leave even faster. But first we must endure the stress and anxiety of hurricane season which thanks to climate change now begins earlier and lasts longer. I fear that one day year round hurricanes will be the norm! I hope it's after I'm gone!

These days I desperately want to hang onto March; often our last month of wonderful weather before the onslaught of the sweltering heat. I can still open my windows and enjoy free air conditioning as well as breathe fresh air. The nights are cool with delicious sleeping weather while the days are comfortably warm.

Also March is free from hurricane worries!

Florida winters are as delightful as the summers are horrid!

August is now the longest month! Not only is it hellishly humid, hot and bug infested. I live cocooned inside an air conditioned house. One step outside and I am transformed into a fountain of sweat.  August is also the time of the year when hurricane season really starts to ramp up. Everything about it is miserable!

The snowbirds have the right idea! In my previous neighborhood an hour south of here, half my neighbors fell into that category. Six months of the year my family was situated between two empty houses. If nothing else, summers there were quiet and peaceful.

Back then, we lived on the St. Lucie River. Here in my current home, my neighborhood is made up of largely year round residents.

Now at age 70 I want to freeze time or at least slow it down. I want the impossible! That said, the only good thing I remember about 2020 is the entire year felt endlessly long!

No comments:

Post a Comment