-->

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

SNAKE STEAKS & FRIED LICE

 

Floridians are being encouraged to dine on pythons to reduce the population of this dangerous invasive species. Okay, no problem.

Back in January of 2016 in Thailand, dining on Cobra was the latest fad according to my guide. Had I been offered it, I would have been willing to give it a try. My issue is eating mammals which I refuse to do. After all I am one and so are you!

I've eaten frog legs and gator tail. Growing up there were plenty of cracker cafes featuring frog legs on the menu. My father a Yankee born and raised in Detroit enjoyed them and would share with me. However one place served a platter with the toes still attached. -- That ended it for both of us!

During the 1990's there was a restaurant chain that specialized in gator tail. I ordered a platter. It came served with a dip, without it, the meat was bland.

I've enjoyed more common and popular menu choices that made squeamish family members and friends wince and gag.

For my 21st birthday I tried Escargot (snails) at the Petite Marmite in Palm Beach.  I also enjoyed it later in Paris. Both times, all I could taste was garlic butter!

And I've eaten and enjoyed Calamari (squid) and also raw oysters on the half shell many times.

Recently I read that shrimp are considered the cockroaches of the sea. This is due to the fact that they are omnivores and feed on trash in the waters. -- Seems I once read something similar about oysters. However I plan to continue enjoying both!

Iguanas are another invasive species here in Florida. They'll be next! In some countries they're considered a delicacy and referred to as "Chicken of the trees".

I firmly believe that in another couple generations eating insects and reptiles will be the norm thanks to overpopulation and climate change. However by that time I will be gone and forgotten. But I'll probably be chowing down on them in a future life, just like everybody else.


No comments:

Post a Comment