-->

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

PERIWINKLE & SALMON, SERIOUSLY?

 

I pride myself on having the esthetic eye possessing the ability to put things together beautifully. I've even written a budget beauty manual on how to look your best for less. But lately I've been stumped. 

Two years ago I purchased an elegant periwinkle cardigan with long gathers like dove wings from the shoulder down to the wrist. It's a treasured find from a consignment store. And I got it for a reduced price due to a winter clearance.

I planned to wear it at a Birthday Tea a friend was throwing for me at her house. But I realized I had nothing to pair it with beyond a black camisole & black pants. However I wear so much black someone once accused me of being a practitioner of the dark arts (I am not!) Also now that I'm gray I prefer to go with more vibrant colors. At my age I'm starting to associate black with funerals.

So I consulted Google. They suggested navy blue or (gadzooks you've got to be kidding) SALMON! I didn't have a navy blue top fancy enough. And I hate salmon! -- The color not the fish! Salmon is quite tasty and pleasing to the palate.

Photos were on display of periwinkle & salmon worn together. To my eyes, these colors not only clash, but look hideous together! By that I mean vomit inducing puke ugly!

As fate would have it, I happened to be watching a Lifetime movie I'd recorded when I noticed the heroine, a 20 something was wearing a pull-over periwinkle sweater with salmon pants for about one third of the movie. To me, it looked like something a clown would wear! -- But then I feel exactly the same about ripped jeans. Even if I was 50 years younger I'd never defile my body with those!

Liberace once said: "I dress up to me, not down for other people." That's my philosophy as well and more people need to embrace that.

Weeks later I noticed a reporter on the evening news was sporting a periwinkle jacket paired with gray. And she cut quite a smashing figure in that ensemble!

I ended up wearing an exotic purple & pink pants outfit along with big earrings to my Birthday Tea.

Later I found a navy blue camisole online worthy of my periwinkle cardigan. I combined both with my dark gray slacks. If I do say so myself, I look sharp enough to die for! Now all I need is a fabulous place to wear this.


No comments:

Post a Comment