-->

Friday, May 22, 2020

OUT TO LUNCH, AGAIN


During the shut-down I missed dining out terribly, but at the same time felt it was too soon to resume afterward. However around the middle of May, I met a friend for lunch in a popular restaurant at the airport. I had not seen her in a long while and Sue is a cherished friend, one of a rare few whose company I actually enjoy. She was worth the risk.

We chose that particular restaurant because they had INDOOR seating along with the necessary limited capacity and distancing. I've never been a fan of outdoor dining because this is Florida; blazing sun, heat, humidity, bugs, etc.

Our lunch together was especially nice. Besides Sue's company, it felt uplifting to put on make-up, wear stylish clothes and go out someplace that's not the grocery store or bank.

Sue made the reservation almost 2 weeks in advance to avoid waiting in a long line. We'd read in the newspaper that the public was now out in droves here on the Treasure Coast. However the restaurant was almost empty. During normal times it's bustling!

But this actually worked quite well for us. We felt safer. We're both in the high risk category. Also Sue & I enjoy sitting and visiting for hours after the meal. This way, we weren't holding up a table and could hang out there as long as we wanted. We always schedule our lunches after the noon rush anyway.

Neither of us wore masks. I'm still awaiting the ones I ordered on Amazon (April 2). They must be literally coming on that proverbial slow boat from China!

However Sue gave me a valuable tip! She pulled out a sleep mask to show me how she uses it to cover the lower part of her face. (You can buy them at the Dollar Store!) I have several at home and tried this, later. They cover all the right places and fit snugly. The only problem is I find them difficult to breathe. It feels as if being suffocated by a cushion to me. My do-rag is more comfortable. But a sleep mask with do in an emergency.

If Sue wants to get together for lunch again, we will, although it must be with all the proper precautions in place.

For the most part, I'm sticking close to home until the virus is under control. I can't afford health insurance and despite my age I'm ineligible for Medicare. A hospital stay would ruin me financially! So I must take this seriously!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment