-->

Saturday, May 9, 2020

HAPPY NO-MOMMIES DAY!


My mother was like the Godfather (or Donald Trump with the ego to match) if she did anything for you she expected a ginormous favor in return, but others were too dim to get that part!

As an adult orphan and childless woman, I have commandeered Mother's Day!!! In this house it's called: NO-MOMMIES DAY! I celebrate my mother's absence, NOT being stuck with kids, and my freedom!

About half my friends have never been mothers. A dear one who is past age 60 confided that she's always felt a tinge of sadness on this day for never having been a mom.

I reminded her that it's not too late! She's a successful business woman who can easily afford to buy a kid. Lord knows there's plenty on the market! They even sell them in newspapers and on TV.  However the latter are older, just like dogs they're a harder commodity to push. Most people want their human pet young like a puppy.

There is no doubt in my mind this lady would make a great mother, but it would be at the price of her happiness. She likes to work and play hard, as well make frequent spur of the moment plans and trips. A kid would put a damper on all this. Unless of course she hired a live-in nanny and I can't picture her doing that. She loves children and even volunteers helping abused and neglected kids. As a mother, she would be hands-on. And this might make her happy, but nowhere near as happy as she is child free now. 

I'm a completely different personality type. I enjoy my quiet alone time. I actually look forward to coming home to an empty house. People noise drives me straight up the walls and kids make way too much of that!

When almost everyone was confined to their home due to the pandemic, I asked her, "Aren't you glad you don't have to put up with any whiny, screaming kids now?" And she agreed being childless was a blessing!

A few decades back, my father was friendly with a man who had 6 kids. He confessed right in front of me that he loved his children, but if he could turn back the clock, he would never had a one. "I just can't deal with all the problems they bring and it doesn't end when they turn adults," he lamented.

When I look at friends and acquaintances with children and all the problems they're forced to endure, not to mention the expense, I find myself pitying them.

I'll admit I'm not the nurturing type. Neither was my mother although she liked to pretend to be around other people.

A therapist once asked me if I felt short changed never having had a family. I told her, "Hell no! That's the one thing about my life I love the most!"


No comments:

Post a Comment