-->

Sunday, December 8, 2019

TO TREE OR NOT TO TREE


Due to the abbreviated Christmas season I was debating with myself whether or not to bother erecting a tree. It goes fast enough as is, but this year has been shortened by a week. But then, I'm old school, the Christmas season for me doesn't start till after Thanksgiving. However this is antique thinking and another example of how our society is headed straight into the crapper.  Almost everything of value has been reduced significantly! Walking into a store in September you'd think Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas were all ONE Holiday!

Plus my summer was so miserable and outrageously expensive I was finding it harder to get into the holiday spirit this time around. Perhaps I should just go with minimal decorations as I did in 2017. My Christmas will certainly be leaner. But yet, it's still a wonderful holiday and one to be celebrated.

And best of all Christmas falls on a Wednesday this year, a big holiday smack in the middle of the week! This makes it extra special! Whenever Christmas falls on a weekend I feel cheated because weekends already feel like holidays.

While shopping I spotted a 7 foot pre-lit tree at a ridiculously low price. It was a sign from the universe! I bought it. Unpacking it later, I discovered the tree stand missing. At the bottom of the box was a sheet of paper stating that if any parts were missing to call an 800 number, which I did!

The lady took down all my info and told me a tree stand would be shipped and I'd receive it in a week. I complained that the season was already abbreviated and I'd have less time to enjoy a tree. Also I told her that whoever was responsible should be fired! She said she'd have to go to China to do that.

After hanging up and seeing all my ornaments in waiting boxes I remembered that I still had a 6 foot tree out in my garage.

I needed to concentrate on the positive; for one thing I'm alone. During holidays I look outside and see cars in neighbor's driveways belonging to visiting family members. I recall going thru that particular kind of hell. The stress and aggravation involved did nothing but ruin it. But that's all in the past now! I'm free to enjoy every holiday my way! Neon fireworks and brilliant streamers of elation are going off in my head as I type!!!

Why not a tree, untangling and stringing lights was half the hassle, but I have a pre-lit ones now.  And I miss it when I don't have one. Yes, I erected a tree; it just doesn't feel like Christmas without one.


No comments:

Post a Comment