-->

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

THE FRIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS


It began as strange. I was about to brush my teeth when I noticed a swarm of gnats flying around the porcelain in my sink. I wondered how those bugs got inside and why didn't the drop in temperature kill them! But then, I came to realize they were in my eyes, actually just one eye. But new floaters are nothing unusual.

As the afternoon progressed I noticed bright flashes of light in that eye. I thought I was just experiencing another ocular migraine. The first time I had one I freaked out and made an emergency visit to the eye clinic only to be told it would go away by itself. I left $500 poorer. So I decided to wait this one out.

However my ocular migraine only lasted a few days and this was hanging on. I Googled this and to my horror I had every symptom of a detached retina! Since I wanted a doctor without political ambitions I phoned New Vision instead of the other clinic.

I was instructed to come in at 2:00 PM. It unfolded as a long, stressful, miserable Friday afternoon of tests with lots of just waiting around. Three hours later when I left, the lobby was vacant and even the technicians had all gone home, only the receptionist remained. Thankfully, I didn't have a detached retina!

I was diagnosed with PVD: Posterior Vitreous Attachment. That's quite a mouthful, eh. The Vitreous is gel inside the eye. Pieces become loose over time, also with eye strain. But mostly its age related.  Sometimes it takes weeks for the bright flashes to dissipate, but the floaters remain. The doctor said it bears watching. I must go back in 6 weeks. But if the eye worsens I was told to return immediately.

Now I am plagued with floaters in BOTH eyes! I'm seeing mosquitoes, a beetle, & even a centipede along with the gnats. Bring on the summer heat and humidity then it'll be like trying to navigate in a swamp! It's bad enough reading or watching TV when my vision is more fixed. But sitting in front of a computer is downright maddening! My eyes are constantly darting about and all these bugs along with them!

Honestly, between my new dental bridge, bone graft, and eye issues I feel like my body is falling apart! And worse I know it's just the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment