-->

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

THE BEST TIME OF THE YEAR


Or rather MY favorite time are those wonderful weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. I love the colored lights, shimmering decorations and that festive, merry feeling in the air!

However the kick-off this time around began with a terrifying incident the day before Thanksgiving. It didn't happen to me, but easily it could have! A home just 4 houses down was broken into and burglarized during broad daylight!

I was out when this occurred. I had treated myself to a scrumptious pre-Thanksgiving meal with dessert at TooJays. Afterward I did my holiday grocery shopping. The store was crowded and the lines long so it took longer than usual.

As I was changing clothes after returning, I looked out my two-story bedroom window and noticed sheriff's deputies in fatigues leading a police dog. Clearly they were tracking someone, and this was unnerving.

Later, I heard about the break-in from a neighbor. This was a professional job with 3 hooded men. The owner's adult son walked in on them, but not before the place was ransacked and items stolen. The thieves escaped out the back and remain at large!

If I just drive around the corner now for an errand I worry that things won't be intact or there when I return!

Despite this, my Thanksgiving was delightful. I bought enough turkey at the Deli for seconds also a complete holiday meal on Friday too, plus a big turkey sandwich on Saturday. The side dishes: dressing, cheesy garlic potatoes, deviled eggs, & a colorful salad I made at home. Of course there was cranberry sauce and for dessert I enjoyed pecan cheesecake. Plus this was a free HBO holiday!

Never have I done a Black Friday and I never will! That's the day I put up my Christmas tree.

Last year I didn't feel up to all the work of erecting a big tree. Old age is settling in and I've got lumbago (lower back pain on the left side) so I just went heavy on the garlands and other decorations. But I really missed a tree!

So last December after the holidays, I purchased a pre-lit one half price. This tree is 7 feet tall, a foot higher than my old one. But it's narrower, which I like. I have more room to navigate between my fireplace and big screen TV. The other was bulky and heavy, I always set my tree on a table to add more height because I have a cathedral ceiling.

And last January I purchased a tall ladder with railings on sale. No more balancing precariously on the top step! Because this was my first pre-lit tree I had a bit of a learning curve. I thought all the plugs had to be connected. (They don't! The instructions were unclear about this!) It's actually impossible, but I wasted some time nearly tearing my hair out over this.

However next year will be far easier. I've made this chore way more manageable!

After the tree was up and decorated, I moved from the kitchen table to the big formal one under the chandelier for all meals. This way I can view and enjoy my tree.

The following Monday I got together with friends at Carabba's for lunch. I worried that I'd never be able to fit into any nice clothes. -- I'm allowed one cheat day a week with my healthy diet; however I had just enjoyed an extended cheat weekend with free HBO.

To my surprise and relief, everything fit just fine. Guess putting up and decorating that tree burned off a lot of calories!

Every Christmas tree I erect always takes my breath away and seems to be the most beautiful ever, but this one is the most elegant of all! I only wish the holidays lasted longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment