-->

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

GETTING HIGH ON THE TABLE


My father bought it second hand for our previous house in Stuart. It was an oblong old Florida style kitchen table. However I never really felt that it fit this house. Not to mention it had memories of a place and time I hated. Over the years it became more scratched & stained. Recently the padding on the seats started coming apart.

Last September, on impulse I walked into a Big Lots store. There, I fell in love with a display table. It was square with dark wood and the seats were high. It would fit that spot in the kitchen perfectly. But money has been really tight and the last thing I needed was another expense. Then I remembered reading about the Trump tariffs. After they kick in the price of everything from shampoo to cars is going to rise. And the table was on sale!

I bought that table! Since it arrived unassembled, it wasn't the bargain I'd thought. I would have to pay someone to put it together. I've hired handymen in the past who failed to show or even call to explain why. The delivery men gave me the name of someone. The man turned out to be reasonably priced and he actually showed up early.

This high pub table not only fits the spot, but me too! There's a foot of space between the floor and my feet and I'm a medium height woman. I can see better thru the bay window into my back yard. I've added to the landscaping over the years and now I can fully enjoy the view! 

Usually, during the holidays starting on Thanksgiving I move to the big formal table under the chandelier. But this year, I plan to celebrate this holiday on my new pub table in the kitchen.

Seated there, I kind of feel like a kid in a high chair. Hey, I've always said this is my second childhood. And this is the best one, no parents or even a husband to boss me! I can watch a movie in the middle of the day or the night, fix myself a hot fudge sundae at 2:00 AM, sing loudly off-key, or dance naked in every room in the house. Wooohooo!

My new table just adds to the magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment