-->

Saturday, October 1, 2016

FIRST SONGS & YEOWL ALONGS


Recently, I was reading in our local newspaper a statement by E Street Band bassist Gary Tallent. To paraphrase him, our favorite music is usually the type we were first introduced to as a child.

Hmmn, I thought back to the earliest songs I could remember. The ones I heard while sitting in my highchair or banging my plastic cup against the bars of my playpen. One immediately sprang to mind! The song is Blues in the Night; it’s from a 1940’s movie with the same title. Well it sure was having a resurgence in the early 1950’s! Every popular chanteuse of the period and small time vocalist seemed to be singing it on TV. I’ve often wondered if it was this song that turned me asexual.  Lyrics from the song are:

 

“My momma done told me when I was in pigtails, hon

A man is a two-face

He'll sweet talk you and give ya the big eye

But when the sweet talk is done

A man is a two-face

A worrisome thing that will leave you to sing

The blues in the night”

 

This is a cool song, but I never hear it sung anymore!

Another popular one of the period was Sixteen Tons, sung by Tennessee Ernie Ford. This was more of a radio song, also a scary one that gave me chills. Particularly the part where Ernie in his deep, bass-baritone voice sings:

“St. Peter don’t you call me cause I can’t go, I owe my soul to the company store.” followed by the creepy, doo doo DOO doo DOO doo doo DOOOO music!

To my ears, I thought he sang,  “I owe my soul to the company STOVE!”  I envisioned his soul screaming in flames every time they opened the door to cook!

Misunderstanding the words of songs is common. Who can forget the Christmas song about the ancient troll who tied up Carol or The Dawning of the Age of Asparagus in the 1970’s. Funny, the latter one pretty much describes my life these days.

A popular 70’s song was Love Me like a Rock, sung by Paul Simon. This is not about romance, but the love between a mother & son. I used to call it the constipated man song and I’ll bet lots of others did, too.  Because of the line:    “I’m a consummated man!”

Then I would sing chorus:   “Oh he was a maaan! A constipated man!”

Another question that now springs to mind is exactly how do you love a rock??? But then, I remembered that Pet Rocks were a popular fad back then. -- No, I never owned one! However I do have a rock of which I am rather fond. I brought it back from the shores of Lake Linnhe in Scotland back in 1980. I use it as a paper weight; but its also been in the upstairs toilet tank to hold down the flap to prevent leaking. And if anyone breaks in & tries to rob or murder me, I’ll bash their skull in with it, after I blind them with hornet spray. You see it’s a multi-purpose rock! But hey, I’m getting off track here.

Speaking of tracks, in my 20’s I owned a cherished collection of 8 track tapes. These were the big thing back then!

As for vinyl records, I received my first set at age 4 as well as a set of books. Both were from the Disney Company. Walt Disney loomed large in my life! These days I enjoy hearing Colors of the Wind on the radio. But the lyrics:  “You think you own whatever land you land on.”  Sound clunky to me!

I feel the song would be more powerful if it was sung: “You think you own whatever SOIL you land on.”  Anyway, that’s just my opinion!!!

Another song I enjoy that bugs me is The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down! It’s the lyrics:  “All the bells were ringing and the people were singing they went La La Lah, La La Laaah!” --- Well, where did they go??? Was this a marching chorus??? It should be they SANG not WENT!!!  Better yet, leave “they went/sang” off altogether. It’s superfluous!

Yes, yes, yes! It’s easier to spot the flaws of others quicker than your own. I do not dismiss the talent of any of these artists. Perfection is unnecessary. I still remember these songs and they give me joy! That’s really what it’s all about.
 

FOOTNOTE:   I’ve only written one song in my entire life! It’s a punk rock number titled, Dead Mommies in Hell. Maybe I’ll share it on Mother’s Day – unless you bribe me not to!

No comments:

Post a Comment