-->

Saturday, September 24, 2016

ME VS THE UNIVERSE


To expatriate was my plan! For years now, I’ve felt nudges, even pushes from the universe shoving me in that direction. Even my tea leaves told me to go!

This has NOT been a good year for me since returning from Thailand last January! I experienced a health scare that was serious enough to force me into altering my lifestyle. And I was hit with large unexpected expenses, not including major repairs to my home with which I’ve yet to deal. Plus there have been fractures in friendships, one ending completely!

Even a psychic who gave me a free reading over the Internet told me to leave as well! -- But I suspect he read my blog to glean info. And now he’s trying to make up my mind for me! Well I’m the decider here, Mister!!! And your sales hook is the same rusty one I’ve been hearing & rejecting from so-called clairvoyants for the last 40 years! That “brief” window of opportunity only YOU can guide me thru has been around for that long! So SCRAM!!!

Whatever I decide, it must be MY decision alone, even if it means going against the universe!
 
On paper, expatriating seemed the best move for me. Perhaps there is no right or wrong choice, here. Whatever I choose may come back to bite me eventually! Or perhaps the universe has my back no matter what I do. Time will tell.

Thailand is out for a long list of reasons. This is why exploratory trips are necessary!

Before my visit, Ecuador sounded like the perfect country to retire. My first thought upon checking in was, “Yikes, they sure over-sold this place!” Still, I told myself it might grow on me.

I would have affordable healthcare, there. I’ll never have that here no matter who is elected. There is too much greed and corruption involved in our current system and too many people in power who want to keep it this way. If I am ever hospitalized, it would ruin me financially! If I can foresee a serious health issue, I can fly to another country for treatment. If not, well….

From a financial standpoint, expatriating seems the wisest move. Sure, it would save me money. However my quality of life would be far less, along with lots more stress & bother. I don’t care to stand in long, crowded lines every month to pay my bills. Or wait 2 weeks or more for a (non-English speaking) repairman should my refrigerator break or my cable is down, or my landline go out every time it rains.

Expats have told me, “It’s a developing country and you just have to go with the flow.” -- Well I’m not a go-with-the-flow personality type!

And speaking of flow, I don’t care to live in any country where you can’t flush toilet paper! (There’s a closed metal basket beside each commode.) I was calling it Ickuador!!! (I still do) And I don’t understand this. Way back in the 1970’s I toured Mexico & Guatemala with my dad & future step-mom. We ventured deep into these countries; everywhere we could flush toilet paper! Otherwise, my father would have had us on the next plane back to the states! He would have been as grossed out as I was!

I’ve considered Mexico, which I loved, but it’s a far more violent place now than it was back in the 1970’s.

As for Ecuador, I’ve decided I don’t want to move anyplace that needs to grow on me, especially at my age. I don’t know how much time I have left on this planet.

The Third World was just TOO Third World for me. I don’t see myself adjusting.

Geez, all I really want is to be retired and enjoy a quiet life. Why is THAT so terrible? (rhetorical question) Isn’t being happy everyone’s true goal! And I’m happy right here!

My days feel sublime. They pass at warp speed despite all my attempts to slow and savor them. My nights of falling asleep in my recliner in front of the TV feel like heaven to me. I’d rather do this than anything else.

However, paradise doesn’t come cheap these days and neither does healthcare! And both are getting more expensive all the time. That’s the fly in the honey!

I’ve decided to remain here in Vero Beach. And I’m doing everything in my power to preserve my health!  But if the worse ever happens and I feel a heart attack or stroke coming on, I’m NOT calling 911! I want to die here where I’m happy, in the house I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment