-->

Saturday, September 17, 2016

PARADISE & THE TWO-ROOM SCHOOLHOUSE


During the latter half of the 1950’s my family moved from our small Florida town to an even smaller one just down the coast. This was Hobe Sound which my grandfather called a hamlet.

I fell in love with this place immediately! To reach our new house we drove under a canopy of towering Banyan trees and then turned right onto a secluded floral lane. Our new home (a rental) was located on several acres and overlooked the Intracoastal Waterway.

A history of flooding must have been the case, because the house was built high. You had to walk up a staircase to reach the front door, which was situated on the side showcasing our view of the Intracoastal. In the evenings, I’d sometimes sit on the front steps. Here, I watched as many fireflies as stars in the night sky and the moon appeared especially pretty over the water.

Out back, long steps led down into a courtyard with a low wall as not to obstruct the view. There, we entertained guests.

A small dock rested on our beach and kitty-corner from it was a mangrove island. In low tide, my grandfather & I waded out with a hammer & chisel along with a bucket. We went oystering! It was the first time I’d eaten an oyster and we ate them raw! I love them that way to this day!

Plus the ocean and public beach was in walking distance of our house! This place was perfect.

The expansive lot next door was overgrown and wild. The remnants of a partially built house stood largely concealed by climbing vines and weeds. It reminded me of an ancient ruin. A tragic story was behind it. A newlywed couple was in the process of building while the husband was away fighting in the Korean War. He was killed and construction ceased.

This was my 1st year of school and I was a transfer student. This being a small community, the schoolhouse consisted of two rooms across the hall from each other.

The FIRST thru THIRD Grade students were in one large room and the FOURTH thru SIXTH were across the hall in the other, with one teacher for each. There was no cafeteria, everyone brought their lunch, but milk for 5 cents was purchased from a cooler at school. We ate our lunch outside on wooden tables in the back of the playground. When it rained, we ate at our individual desks.

My 1st day was filled with anxiety. When I entered, I was as nervous as if I had a gun trained on me! Everyone stared as if I was naked with 3 navels, goiters growing from my armpits and foot-long hair sprouting from my loins. Apparently they didn’t see a lot of strangers here!!!

The teacher was a young attractive woman. She spoke TO me, rather than down AT me like my previous one. After the lunch bell rang, the class rushed out into the playground. All the kids from First Grade and even a few from Second and Third came over and introduced themselves. This small school was a welcoming one, plus I was a curiosity. Suddenly, I had plenty of instant friends! This was something new and unfamiliar to me!

To my delight, several of these kids lived close enough that we could walk or bike to each other’s homes. Again, this place was perfect. I never wanted to leave!!! But my time here was all too brief.

Right after the school year ended, my mother & I took a plane to visit relatives up in Detroit. (This was years before it became Murder Capitol of the Country!) After we returned, Dad announced that he had landed a fabulous job back in the town we had left. Sadly, we would be moving back.

I’d be returning to that school just up the coast, the one I hated and never wanted to see again!

But, as fate would have it, I did see many of THESE kids, again! Later, at Junior High level they were bused north to school in my municipality since we were in the same county.

However my Seventh Grade year was spent in West Palm Beach at the “special” school. When I returned for Eighth Grade, I was ecstatic to see them there! Several, I approached with a big, “Hey, do you remember me from First Grade?”

Unfortunately, this time I was up against teenage attitude and cliques which were prevalent at this school. They were polite, but at the same time distant and dismissive. It was clear we weren’t going to be picking up where we left off in Grade One.

When I was in High School, my brother wed the cousin of my First Grade teacher. This marriage did not last and is mostly forgotten by us both. Its notable how someone can be alive and dead to you at the same time, also how content you are to keep it that way. Yet, other more distant memories remain alive and vivid.

The old two-room schoolhouse of which I have such fond memories eventually became an abandoned and neglected building as well as another victim of our sleazed-down society. A murder was committed there which was drug related.

This tiny piece of paradise is now lost to the past, but it makes the memory more precious and one I cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment