-->

Monday, August 1, 2016

THE CONTINENT OF PANGAEA


At age 65 I am certainly in the winter of my life. Still I vividly recall a joke I heard back in the 1970’s. (I was in my 20’s then.)  It was sexist! Even back then offensive to many, but FUNNY as all get out!!!

I planned to tell this joke at my 40th birthday party until a friend urged me not to. “You will insult and offend too many of your guests,” she insisted.

“None of my friends are THAT sensitive!” I replied. Then I told the joke to another (older) friend and asked her opinion.

“Please do not tell that joke at your party!” she pleaded. “Yes, it is offensive!”

Most of the guests who attended my 40th birthday party are either dead now, or no longer in my life, so I am going to tell YOU the joke!

Drum roll please!

A Frenchman was sitting on a park bench next to an old lady. The old woman looks up from her book and notices him lewdly ogling women passers-by.

“Isn’t it interesting,” said the Frenchman, “how in certain decades of a woman’s life she resembles a particular continent.”

The old woman looked puzzled . “How so?” she asked.

“For example,” the Frenchman explained, “A woman in her teens is like Africa! Grrrrrrrrr,” he growls while scratching the air in front of him. “She’s wild, unexplored, inviting adventure!”

His eyes narrow as he licks his lips salaciously. “A woman in her 20’s is like Asia, mysterious and alluring.”

 “In her 30’s a woman is like America.” His cups his hands and begins twisting them as if he’s squeezing grapefruit. “More developed and generous with natural resources.”

“And a woman in her 40’s,” he raises an eyebrow while stoking his chin, “is like Europe, OLD but still interesting in some places…. And there you have!”

“But what about me?” asked the old lady eagerly. “What about all of us women over 50?”

“Eh!” replied the Frenchman with a dismissive wave of his hand. “They’re like Australia, they exist but no one cares one way or the other.”

Badd’ da -boom!

Nowadays I’m in the Australia category, myself! (Actually, I am and always have been the lost continent of Atlantis.) And I still think this joke is hilarious! Even more so now because I can see how skewed and inaccurate this guy’s thinking really is. Also it’s a mild joke by today’s standards! It’s merely naughty without being filthy. I’ve heard many on cable that made me want to wash my ears out with Lysol!

Whenever I think of an older woman, the continent of Pangaea comes to mind. Pangaea was the first and only continent upon the earth. It existed during the Paleozoic era into the Mesozoic. Over time it broke apart, drifted and became the other continents. Mature women are like Pangaea in reverse! All those continents with their accumulated wisdom and experience rejoin the source, one super continent again emerges! This creates a more fascinating and more powerful person, not a lesser one!

Value yourself as the treasure you truly are!!! I say to older women, embrace and celebrate you!!!

I’m a far happier person today. Now in the latter season of my life, I know I’m a survivor. I remember where I’ve been, as I recall the words of Julius Caesar:  “Somewhere in the winter of me is an invincible summer!”

And also those of prophet Edgar Cayce:  “Atlantis will rise again!”

No comments:

Post a Comment