-->

Friday, August 19, 2016

TASTY MIXES & QUICK FIXES


In some of my photos, I appear to be winking at the camera. -- I am not! I have a lazy eye when I don’t get enough sleep! However today’s post concerns my lazy ass. I like things simple & easy! I enjoy cooking about as much as I enjoy house work, which is not at all!

In my family, we all shared a lust for sweets.

Did you know that chocolate mousse can be prepared easily and inexpensively? Just make instant dark chocolate pudding, add 3 heaping tablespoons of instant coffee, and then mix with 2 cups whipped topping until the mixture turns mocha colored. To make it extra delectable, add pulverized bittersweet dark chocolate chips.  Ooh! La! La! -- Actually this is ersatz chocolate mousse, but it’ll satisfy any sweet tooth!

When my father was alive; I used to line goblets with sliced canned peaches, then fill with either coconut or pistachio pudding and top with a dollop of whipped crème & jam. He enjoyed these. Dad also liked it when I drained chunk pineapple & mixed it with banana pudding & coconut flakes. My father’s favorite dessert was pudding.

I prefer baked goods. Plus the oven did most of the work! And mine were killer delicious! Sadly, I’m forced to give up this practice due to neuropathy and triglyceride issues. However, I have a recipe that is too scrumptious not to share! This is for all those who can still eat a decadent dessert worry free.

Thirty five years ago I found this EASY recipe in The Palm Beach Post and it’s still a treasure. I guarantee this will impress others with your baking skills even if you don’t have any!

 

                              SUPER DELUXE COOKIE BARS

 
First, you’ll need REFRIGERATED COOKIE DOUGH from the supermarket, the kind in the casing that resembles sausage. Chocolate Chip or Peanut Butter work best with this recipe. Also you will need a giant 4 X 8 inch CHOCOLATE BAR (I prefer dark) 3 block serving.  Also have mixed nuts/flaked coconut/rainbow sprinkles on hand.

Lightly grease a 13 X 9 inch baking pan. Preheat the oven to 350 F
 
Dump the long lump of cookie dough into the pan.


Wash & dry your hands thoroughly, then spray them with butter-flavored cooking spray.

Now with your hands spread the dough out to the far corners.

Place pan in preheated 350 F oven for 12 to 18 minutes or golden brown. Usually 15 minutes does it perfectly! Then carefully remove from oven.

While hot, take the GIANT CHOCOLATE BAR & place it atop the 13 X 9 inch cookie in the pan. As the chocolate melts, take a butter-knife & spread it, completely covering the surface.
 
Immediately, while the chocolate is still soft, top with rainbow sprinkles, or mixed chopped nuts, or flaked coconut, or even all of these together!

Cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Then cut into squares or strips.

EASIER THAN PIE!!!

Serve and prepare to hear comments such as, “Wow, These are fancy! They must have taken hours to make!” AND “Will you make me some around Christmas?” – Be sure to charge for this service if you do.

Cover tightly & store in refrigerator. These also keep well in the freezer.

Yummy tummy!  You may NOT want to share!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment