-->

Thursday, January 1, 2015

LOOKING AHEAD TO 2016 & BEYOND


Another year, 2015 is already upon us, my birthday too, in a week.

If you know me, or read my blog, you’re aware I’m planning to expatriate in the near future. My 1st choice is Thailand, the cheapest, although Ecuador might be a better fit. I am planning to visit the latter this year & the former in early 2016. After which, I must decide quickly.

Had you told me a few years back that I would be planning 2 major trips just months apart, I would have screamed, “Wow, did I win the lottery!” These are expensive for a woman on a fixed income; however I’m in search of a future home! I can’t just say, “Oh that place looks nice!” then up and move there. I need to check them out first.

I’ve been saving like a maniac!!! For the past year and the next, I’m forgoing all theatre movies & live entertainment. I’m keeping lunches out to a minimum and only inexpensive places. At home I’ve been eating lots of pasta, rice, soup, and breakfasts for dinner to afford these trips. Plus I do not live lavishly. I am not into Spas! Also I’ve neglected expensive repairs to my home, because I’m planning to sell “As is.” I know the buyer will gut the inside and replace everything to suit their own taste.

Others have told me I won’t be happy living alone in a Third World country. Well, I’d love to stay and continue my life here in Vero Beach; unfortunately my quality of life is quickly eroding due to inflation.

The whole purpose in expatriating is to have more money in my pocket. Expatriating will enable me to enjoy a better retirement than I can ever have here; more dining out and perhaps some travel. Also I’ll have affordable health care! I’m already suffering old age maladies; such as arthritis, acid reflux, and a slowly deteriorating left hip.

If I remain, I’ll just be old and poor. In a few years, I’ll probably be balancing on my one good hip croaking out, “Welcome to Walmart!”

My financial adviser is quite unhappy about my plans. When I mentioned Thailand, he nearly passed a water buffalo! (You know that’s true, Bob!) He worries that I won’t be able to handle all the red tape and technicalities involved.

I’ll admit I’m worried about this, too! I’m mathematically challenged, plus anything technical or too complicated goes straight over my head. Often, when I try to walk in my big girl pants they fall around my ankles and trip me!

Plus I’ve heard the first year after expatriating is a nightmare filled with panic. But after things settle, you want to kick yourself for not moving sooner. However, since I’ll be dealing with problems alone, that panicky nightmare might last for several years.

But then, I was left alone to navigate in a strange city after my father died.

Besides, both countries have a large number of expatriates, all of whom have endured the same ordeals. As more Baby-boomers retire, I believe expatriating will be common. Instead of moving here to Florida, seniors will be heading for the Third World.

However, I don’t know how helpful they will be. If they are anything like my neighbors, not very!

This will be a cataclysmic and terrifying move for me! But sometimes in life you have to jump out of the boat and hope! It’s more compelling when the boat is sinking. You can grab onto the sides and go down with it. Or you can swim to that unfamiliar island in the distance and hope the sharks don’t spot you. I choose the latter!

No comments:

Post a Comment