-->

Saturday, January 17, 2015

COUNTRY SHOPPING


For years, I thought if the time ever came for me to expatriate, it would be Mexico. Unfortunately, Mexico is now a far more violent place than when I was vacationing there in the 70’s. However, I’ve read that many areas remain reasonably safe. I’m especially taken with a town called San Miguel de Allende. I may still choose Mexico, or even Belize. I haven’t come to any decision, yet.

Currently, I’m concentrating on Thailand & Ecuador. I am planning to visit both in the near future. My big concern is that I won’t like either place. I’ve been to numerous countries in the past that were fascinating to visit, but I’d never want to live there!

A few months ago, I wasn’t considering anyplace but Thailand. It has the cheapest cost of living, unless of course I moved to someplace like Uganda, (or some other 4th world hell hole!) I’ve subscribed to a Thai Expat newsletter featuring real estate as well as news of Thailand along with an advice column.

The weather is described as hot, hotter, & rainy hot! And I’m constantly complaining that Florida is too hot for me! My hair and I do not have a tolerance for heat and humidity. Also this is monsoon country!

Plus Thailand is dirty old man paradise! Men are amazed at how attractive they become on the plane over. The pretty girls are cheap, I hear. It’s not unusual to see a creepy old geezer cuddling & necking with a girl young enough to be his granddaughter. However, I’m not going in search of a husband, so this really does not affect me.

As a child, I thought Thailand was pronounced Thigh Land. Also Bangkok is well named. This would make it Bang Cock Thigh Land! How appropriate!!!

My entire life I’ve lived within 10 minutes of the ocean. Perhaps that’s why I find the mountains more breathtaking and appealing. If I moved to Thailand, it would be up in the northern most province in a town called Chiang Rai near the Burmese & Laotian border. This is also the cheapest area in Thailand, plus one of the most scenic. The houses there are rustic-looking, which I prefer. In the rest of the Thailand they are mostly tropical. My home in Vero Beach has that rustic charm I love.

I hear the food is out of this world and so inexpensive; I could afford to eat every meal out. – Extra points for that!

For about 2 months, it actually gets cold in Chiang Rai. (Cold by Florida standards, not Michigan) Unfortunately, the temperature is sweltering most of the time. -- OK, so I’d get a house with air-conditioning! Only problem, many of the houses there, only the upstairs or a bedroom is air-conditioned. A fully air-conditioned home can be pricey!

Most of the homes featured in the newsletter are just gorgeous, but so high-end that if I could afford one I wouldn’t need to be moving.

Now if I expatriated to Ecuador, I’d want to be up in the Andes where the weather is spring-like year round. I’ve got my eye on a charming little town called Cotacachi. It is only a half hour away by bus or taxi to the larger cities of Ibarra & Otavalo.  

Incredibly the U.S. Dollar is the currency of Ecuador! For someone who is mathematically challenged, this is much easier than trying to constantly figure out Thai Bahts! Also in Ecuador I would be able to use my Florida Driver’s License until it expires in 2020!

Best of all, in BOTH countries I wouldn’t even need a car!!! Taxis & buses are really cheap. This will be an enormous blessing once old age really kicks in. Besides, knowing what I do, I’m hesitant to drive in the Third World, anyway. Also it will save me lots of money! Plus I can even afford a maid!

However, just as Thailand, there are things that worry me about Ecuador! It’s the popular new In-Place for Expats. They are swarming there in droves along with developers! Also the wealthy are buying 2nd & 3rd homes there creating a chasm between rich & everyone else. (Of course we have that in Vero Beach, too!) All of these factors are going to drive up the cost living there!

Unfortunately, no place is immune to inflation. I read complaints that prices are rising every day in Thailand, too.

This is why I plan to rent, only. I may be forced to keep on the move during my old age just to survive. I may end up in Timbuktu!

There are many other negatives, among them; both countries have earthquakes and volcanoes. Plus I fret about being stuck in a Third World country should the Dollar be de-valued. Suppose there is a world-wide economic collapse! Or I could get struck by a truck my 1st day off the plane. There is no end of terrible things that could happen if I choose to think that way. Good grief, in either country I could be attacked by a pack of rabid monkeys!

Whenever I tell others of my plans, usually they exclaim, “How exciting!” But they have no concept of the pressure I am under. Before long, I will be faced with a serious life changing decision and I need to choose wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment