-->

Saturday, April 12, 2014

VAINGLORIOUS AMOUR DE SOI


Amour de soi is one of those $50 French terms that sound so fancy it should have glitter and streamers. Translated, it simply means love of self. The kind associated with individual well-being. Also that you are not defined by what others think of you, the opposite is amour propre.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I take my appearance seriously. Yes, I have a big ego! And I wouldn’t have myself any other way. My vanity has saved my sanity! And I’m proud of the way I’ve aged.

I refuse to be another dish-rag face in jeans! When I was kid, the majority of older women looked like frump-a-dumps. Nowadays most of the younger ones do, too! Ugh! Whatever happened to taking pride in your appearance? Why is dressing nice and wearing make-up now deemed some sort of sin?

The natural look is blah. Why settle for it? I prefer the supernatural look! Make-up like magic is an illusion used to the advantage of the practitioner. The right combination can be utterly bewitching. Plus it evokes a power from within called confidence as your spirit lifts and soars.

Anyone seeing me without make-up, I consider tantamount to seeing me naked. Only a few close friends have ever viewed me this way and only rarely. – OK, so a few neighbors and a house painter have glimpsed me nude. But remember, these were accidents that happened before I bought my new blinds. I’m also glad that I diet and work out with weights.

Yes, I’ve heard the arguments of ugly women and insecure men. They insist that a face enhanced by cosmetics isn’t the true you. -- Actually it is! Because this is the face I created, rather than the one randomly issued to me like a social security number. My appearance is how I express myself. There is an art to putting clothes & make-up together. And no, my bare face wouldn’t shatter any mirrors!

Also they call it fake. – Excuse me! Do you tint your hair or even curl it, wear a padded bra, clip or paint your nails, or perhaps you wax your nether regions? -- All of this personal enhancement is fake!!! And everyone knows that piercing & tattoos occur naturally on the body. Geez, gim’me a break! It is far worse to be false on the inside and misrepresent yourself. The majority of people fall into this category!

And beauty, they say is temporary. – EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS TEMPORARY!!! That’s a poor excuse to throw in the towel. Plus you can be attractive at any age!

Oh let’s not forget the ever popular, “One should fall in love with the person, not their appearance.” I agree! So why then should it matter one way or the other if a woman chooses to wear make-up. This statement actually strengthens my argument, not theirs!

Cosmetic sorcery has existed since ancient times. Roman generals would paint their fingernails red before going into battle. Warriors such as the Celts, American Indians, and others would paint their faces for combat, thus to give themselves a psychological advantage and intimidate the opposition.

Today, the workplace is the battlefield for most. As women, we need give themselves every advantage. Being attractive is a powerful one. I say,”Don’t just wear make-up, wear it valiantly with pride!”

A favorite quote of mine is from Liberace. “I dress up to me, not down for everyone else.” This is a philosophy to live by!

But remember, people are petty and jealous creatures. Others will always try to drag you down to their level. Don’t strive to be like everyone else, strive to be better! Love yourself above everyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment