-->

Friday, January 3, 2014

THE POST HOLIDAY BLUES

The saddest day of the year to me, is Jan. 2 when the Christmas tree comes down. My living room looks so lackluster without it. It's certainly a lot darker! My big tree lights up the place all by itself.

The best part of the year is now officially over, that gloriously festive period between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day.

Some are depressed by the holiday season. I think they're disappointed because they can't have the Currier & Ives, or Hallmark Christmas they've been conditioned to expect. But I never wanted that! It's not my style. My holidays are custom tailored to me. I always fill them with things I enjoy!

Sure, there are elements of the classic Christmas I like, and I make certain to incorporate them into the mix. This year, I fulfilled a decades-long holiday fantasy. I had oyster stuffing for Thanksgiving and chestnut stuffing for Christmas. Which I know doesn't sound like a big deal. But this was the first time I was able to find roasted chestnuts! Apparently there isn't a huge demand in  Florida.

I'll admit that after you reach a certain age, Christmas Day is an anti-climax, nothing more than an elaborate meal. For me, it's the weeks leading up to Christmas and New Year's that are fun! I love all those special holiday events, delicacies, and just that magic atmosphere. I feel super alive!

I enjoy listening to the Christmas carols on my car radio, even if they are played way too soon. It always feels kind of weird when they suddenly vanish on Dec. 26.

Let's not forget all those decadent desserts on display for the tasting! The frosted sugar cookies, petit fours, gingerbread, pecan divinity, fruit cake, fruit stollen, cranberry-cheddar, peppermint truffles, eggnog, etc.; all disappear quickly from the shelves after New Year's Day.

I love wearing my almond-sugar cookie scented body spray after my bath. It sweetly blends with the cinnamon and vanilla scented candles in my living room. Often I bake and decorate cookies as well. Holiday fragrance fills my home!

My mailbox is stuffed, nearly over-flowing with catalogues! I always look forward to them. It's such a delight to browse and go wish-shopping. Christmas week they cease.

This year, there was one less week to enjoy the season because Thanksgiving came so late. It made everything feel more rushed.

I got a late start on most of my cards. -- Yes, I still mail out holiday cards! (And I like mine gaudy! The more glitter, the better!) Almost a week after Christmas they were still arriving, so I wasn't the only one thrown off schedule by the late Thanksgiving! This time, I was on the fence about many. Some were cut. I tend to have a lot of acquaintances and few close friends. Postage is up again, so more will get the axe next time.

I miss my stormy weather pals, Margaret & Pat. Margaret's cards were always funny and contained lengthy letters. Also I miss Pat's weekly telephone calls. We enjoyed long conversations about nothing and everything. I would like to think both women are finally meeting on the other side. But I can't imagine them waiting around for me to join them. Both are probably too busy enjoying everything the afterlife has to offer.

My neighbors were late in erecting their outside decorations this time around. Many seem to be in competition with each other. (All I do is put a wreath on my door!) With all the colorful lights, giant Santas, sleighs, and other showy decorations around me, I feel as if I've been magically transported into a Christmas wonderland. What a thrill to look outside and see! It makes me feel like a small child again. And it's a deflating feeling after it all suddenly comes down.

Wednesday is my favorite day for Christmas and New Year's to fall. It's literally a holiday smack dab in the middle of the week! I always feel cheated when they fall on weekends, because weekends feel like holidays, anyway.

However this year, my real Christmas was the week before with my friend, Rose. We exchanged gifts in her office by her tree. Afterward we enjoyed a delectable seafood lunch at the Ocean Grill with a magnificent view of the Atlantic below. And Rose, I wish I had known you back in the 80's when you accidentally lost your bikini top in the surf while everyone in the restaurant watched.

Our celebration was in typical Florida style!

Another Christmas, another year has passed into history. -- The next holiday is Valentine's Day. Ho hum, at least the candy is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment