-->

Monday, January 20, 2014

GETTING HIGH ON TRIGLYCERIDES

For anyone reading this who is not old, triglycerides are a fat in your bloodstream which can lead to heart disease, diabetes, and strokes should the level become too high. Mine bears watching I am told, although I have not yet reached the dangerously high mark. I've been ordered by a physician to give up eating everything I enjoy, or else to cut way back.

Of course I am unhappy about this!!! I figuratively boo-hooed on the shoulder of my dear friend, Rose.

"It's really mean to take sweets away from YOU," she consoled. "That's the ONLY vice you have!"

Actually, I don't even consider it a real vice. After all, I could eat an entire box of chocolates (I wouldn't!) before getting into my car without killing or maiming anyone. -- Sweets do not impair your judgement!!!

Besides, I don't (and never would) sit in front of the TV and eat candy, chips, or anything else. That's rather disgusting! Geez, guess that's why I'm naturally thin!

Although my father claimed that his plump aunt & uncle ate very little. While my grandfather always had second and third helpings but remained thin as a scarecrow.

Friends who've see me wolf down an entire 17 inch pizza in one sitting would say I've inherited my grandfather's gene. However, they don't see me the following day. I have an egg for breakfast with an English muffin, plus unsweetened applesauce with tea. Lunch is a granola bar, yogurt, & coffee. Then it's a Lean Cuisine for dinner when I'm cutting back.

The only time I enjoy sweets is for dessert after my last meal. And I absolutely have to have it! -- Fresh fruit is not my idea of one! Unless it's mixed into jello or layered in plain Greek yogurt like a parfait.

During the holidays all the best goodies are out there, beckoning to me. I feel deprived if I can't indulge. I'm never satisfied with just a taste. The food is part of the holiday! Plus holiday meals tend to be big with a variety of tempting and tasty hor deourves.

If I know I'm going to be dining out, I'll eat light the meal before. Then, I can unleash my appetite and fully enjoy that pizza, rich dessert, or party food guilt free!

Turned loose, I'm a voracious eater! I've startled many a dinner date. When looking at me they assumed I'm a Bambi (salad eater) actually I'm more of a Godzilla. I go after food the way the giant lizard attacked Tokyo! I take big bites and chomp fast!

"You're not used to eating in front of other people, are you," remarked a former neighbor the first time we lunched together. 

No, I'm not. But since I attend lots of business networking events, I'm currently eating in a more civilized fashion.

Now that the holidays are a memory, I need to get back to my regular schedule and diet.

My new book (co-authored with April Sampson) should be coming out soon. In it, I give lots of weight loss advice, as well as beauty and style tips. Since I love to eat and have never been over-weight, I must be doing something right! -- I can put on weight, but it always comes off fast!

I've never been a drinker. -- Lots of empty calories there, folks! Unwind with a book or movie, listen to music, have a cup of tea, take a cat nap, or cuddle with your cat. All of these are better ways to relax!

We emphasize in the book, that the goal is to be healthy first, and trim second. You can be over-weight and still be attractive and healthy, just as you can be slender, homely and sickly.

Our book also features April Sampson's valuable advice on nutrition; plus delicious, healthy, and inexpensive recipes. These can be served to the entire family so that the dieter does not have to eat a separate meal. Just drink a tall glass of water before, plus an organic apple if you wish, then it will be easier to cut down on portions.

I'm never going to give up rich, high-calorie sweets entirely, but they will be reserved more for special occasions, only.

No comments:

Post a Comment