-->

Saturday, July 27, 2013

SEARS PHOTO FINISHED

Recently, I updated my photo on Facebook. The old picture was not yet a year old. Plus I liked it. It had the look of an old timey painting. However, because of the red hat and blouse, too many people got the idea I am a Tea Party supporter. (GAG!) Also the pose made me appear so cultivated and genteel. In other words, everything I am NOT!

Also I changed my cover picture. My Facebook Timeline could now be called the exotic woman and the dinosaur. 
 
I wanted something more reflective of me and my love of costumes. While attending business networking lunches, I often wear one and incorporate it into my speech.

I decided to channel SCHEHERAZADE, the storyteller and crafty heroine of ONE THOUSAND AND ONE NIGHTS. I call this my woman of the sands and caravans look.

As for the dinosaur, I feel like one! And like all Baby Boomers extinction is right around the corner.

For professional portraits, I've always relied on the SEARS PORTRAIT STUDIO in the Mall. I almost decided against this particular shoot. As I stated, my other photo was still fairly new. I didn't want to spend any more money. But then I received a big discount online! This was around Christmas. It would be a present to myself!

I made a wise decision. Shortly after, the SEARS PORTRAIT STUDIO closed its doors forever! This was devastating news. Their prices were reasonable compared to other photographers.

My one issue with this studio was there were no touch-ups or photo shopping. Unfortunately, I've reached the age where I need some of that. I complained they were senior-unfriendly! The photographer explained that they were mass produced and if they took the time to do it, I'd be paying a lot more.

Despite that, they managed to do a great job! I know 22 year old me would have been thrilled and proud of the way 62 year old me looks. After they were posted on Facebook, I received a marriage proposal from a stranger, plus a modeling offer. I turned down both.

Actually, I would have accepted the modeling shoot except for the fact I had other things going on that day. The modeling offer was an unpaid one. Plus I'm too old and imperfect to model anyway.

I've heard said that you photograph only as good as your photographer.

Lots of credit goes to Nikki, the most recent photographer at the studio. I requested her by name when I spoke to the SEARS representative. She's a young woman in her mid-20's. I could tell this was a passion, her career, rather than just a mere job.

A previous SEARS photographer, (The who shot my Blog photo) was not in her category. Another 20-something, she expected me to pose myself with little or no input from her. I told her, "I can't see myself." I suggested putting a mirror behind her, so at least I'd have some idea.

Then she advised we try a shot with me sitting on the floor. "Are you able?" she inquired. From her tone, it sounded like she was afraid I might break a hip. -- I was insulted!!!

Even today I read my newspaper sprawled across the floor the way I did as a kid! (Yes I still subscribe to a newspaper.) And at 62 I'm spry enough to take my stairs 2 steps at a time! Geez! -- Hope she's back waiting on tables!

Nikki deserves her own studio! Her input was invaluable.

The SEARS PORTRAIT STUDIO holds memories for me. Unfortunately, it has gone the way of APPLEBEES Maple Blondie dessert, (my favorite!) recently discontinued in Vero Beach. I will sadly miss them both. All the good stuff, plus all the old reliables seem to be disappearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment