-->

Monday, June 24, 2013

NO EX-HIPPIE, HERE

Many who glance over my Facebook page mistakenly believe I'm some sort of former Hippie. I do support affordable (not free) health care for all, gay rights, abortion, environmental protection and other so-called liberal causes. However, I am only liberal by Vero Beach standards. Here, if you don't blindly follow the Tea Party you're labeled one!

Back in the day, I was the antithesis of a Hippie. I had murder in my heart for too many people to ever be the peace and love type! I still live to watch horror flicks. Long before Goth teens existed, I was one.

The Hippie movement was at its peak as I started Junior College. I couldn't relate to them or the other kids. I hate rock music! Jeans & T-shirts just look sloppy to me. I love dramatic attire! I wore dark lipstick and nail polish when others were going natural. The supernatural look rules my life! I had no desire to resemble my peers, nor did I want to acquire their sleazy habits.

They say if you remember the 60's you weren't really there. Well I remember them in painful detail. -- I WAS MORE THERE THAN ANY DRUGGIE! Besides, if they think it was that wonderful, why don't they want to remember it!

As a life long non-drinker, you had better believe I take a dim view of that! I'm against anything that impairs judgement. If you indulge, stay away from me on the highway! In fact, stay the hell away from me period!

In their heyday, my parents drank to fit in with their social circle. I remember a drunken acquaintance throwing himself at my mother in front of his wife. I was filled with disgust! I knew I was never going to fly with that crowd, either.

From an early age, I realized I was destined to be a misfit and a freak my entire life. But that's OK with me. I am always good to myself because others are not.

Around age 22, an older friend talked me into trying a grasshopper at an upscale restaurant. It made me so nauseous, I couldn't eat an expensive dinner I otherwise would have enjoyed.

"That drink will taste better next time," she assured me. I told her there wasn't going to be a next time!

As far as I'm concerned, alcohol has no other use than flavoring foods or treating snake bites. My good times are savored, my treasured memories are vivid. Plus I never awaken with a hangover.

If you enjoy your life, why are alcohol or drugs necessary? And if you require them to be happy or get thru life, well that's just pathetic. I think it all boils down to a herd mentality. I call it the monkey see, monkey do syndrome.

Everyone today seems so afraid of being perceived as judgmental. -- Whenever you fail to act negatively to unacceptable behavior, you are condoning it!

Once upon a time, my life sucked on an epic scale. I thought of suicide every day, multiple times. However, I never used alcohol or drugs as an escape. I'm damn proud of that! It only makes problems more severe. My brother is a prime example. After he turned to alcohol, it only exacerbated his mental issues. As a result, his freedom is gone.

Despite the vast age difference between us, we are not dissimilar in many ways. Everything could have been different.

No comments:

Post a Comment