-->

Saturday, May 4, 2013

UNITARIANS VS JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

A year after my father's passing, I was still depressed and grieving. I couldn't seem to climb out of the big, dark sink hole in which I was imprisoned. Caring for him had been a harrowing 24/7 job. I told my friend Margaret I'd like to join a social club, just to get me out of the house. Also I wanted to make new friends, since she and my other close friend, Pat now lived in other cities.

Margaret suggested I join a church. I reminded her that I did not believe in organized religion. So, it would be rather shallow and hypocritical to use one just for social purposes. She assured me that many people did just that. Besides, some religion might rub off on me.

Geez, I'm hardly a big time sinner! I was turned off by the idea.

At the time, there was a Unitarian Universalist Church down the street from my subdivision. Margaret mentioned seeing it. -- It was an unknown faith to me!

"Oh, you would like them!" she insisted. "They're very liberal. They combine the best of all religions."

Shortly after, I read in newspaper the church was holding a fashion show/luncheon. It would feature clothes by Pakistani women trying to make a living on their own. I signed up to attend. In fact, I owned a beautiful dress made in Pakistan I planned to wear. The event was to be held on a Saturday afternoon.

That morning just before I awoke, I had the most vivid and horrible nightmare! In it, I was at the church listening to a visiting minister. The man strolled amidst the congregation as he spoke. Every time he walked past, I felt the temperature drop about 10 degrees. Others started noticing and whispering about it. Without warning, the room suddenly went pitch black! Sounds of confusion and gasps were everywhere! One corner suddenly lit up, aglow with a bizarre light! Crouching there was the minister with a demonic expression on his face. "You are all going to burn!" he screeched. Flames shot up all around, screaming and shrieks ensued! -- I woke up.

As I finished dressing, I heard a knock at the door. From my window, I could see an older man and a girl about 14. Since I don't know everyone in my neighborhood, I assumed they were neighbors.

Well, they were Jehovah's Witnesses! The pair were crusading against graphic sex & violence in movies. "I like the graphic sex & violence," I told them. "That's what I pay money to see!"

The kid cracked-up laughing. The man looked flummoxed. "May I ask how old you are, and if you have children?" he inquired.

I assured him I was old enough that my eggs had dried-up in the last century. Then, I informed him I had plans and no time for further conversation.

Attired in my long, pink-floral Pakistani tea dress, I arrived at the church. The event drew a big crowd. There were 2 large double doors on different sides. I was unsure which one was the entrance. I asked a woman.

"Aren't models supposed to use the back entrance," she replied with a hint of disdain as she looked me up and down..

I stated I was a paying guest. I intended to use the front entrance. At that moment, the left-side doors were flung open. I followed everyone inside. Since this was a church, I expected at some point for someone to come over and welcome me! It was utter confusion and I was on my own.

I found an empty table and sat down. Others began sitting around me, introducing themselves. And who should sit next to me but that haughty woman from outside!

"You certainly are pale!" she said to me at one point in the conversation.

I told her my age and asked, "How many lines do you see in my face? I would never be stupid enough to tan this skin! Pale has its perks." -- That shut the homely prune-face up!

After the fashion show, several women approached me, separately. They were disappointed my dress was not part of the show. Not one of the modeled outfits was as beautiful as my floral-pink dress. I probably could have sold it right off my body for about 3 times what I paid. -- Margaret had picked it out for me at ROSS a year before.

I never returned to that church. They were more interested in my dress than having me as a member.

Instead, I began taking myself to the movies in the Mall every weekend. Also I looked thru the newspaper for events open to the public. (I found many!) Plus now I had freedom! I took advantage of being alone. Before long, happiness came not in rivulets, as a tease like before; but in torrents, and then a deluge!

No comments:

Post a Comment