-->

Friday, May 17, 2013

STICKING IT TO THE PAST

Decades ago, I watched SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE the movie, based on the novel by Kurt Vonnegut. The premise concerned an older man who (with the help of space aliens) was uprooted in time. Without warning, he would suddenly find himself fully reliving a different period in his life. Now that I am older, I strongly relate.

Whenever I think back to my 20's, or my childhood, it doesn't feel that long ago. The memories are so graphic, it could have been last week, or even a day ago! Yet, it was a different world, then. However, I always boomerang back, rather than get mired there.

My childhood in the 1950's was glorious! Sadly, it all quickly unraveled and became ugly in 1960 after we moved to the house on the river with its long dock and impressive view.

I never imagined the ordeal would drag on for so long. Had I an inkling, I probably would have thrown myself in the river! -- Unfortunately, I'm a good swimmer.

A few years back, my electricity went out in the wee A.M. hours. I awoke in pitch darkness. For a few seconds I thought I was back in Stuart, in my old room with my step-mother alive in the house. And my life in Vero Beach had all been a waking dream!!! Familiar feelings of misery and hopelessness came rushing back. I wanted to die, rather than return to that!

A soft stream of light came shinning across my bedroom from a neighbor's lamp post. The electricity had returned. A tremendous feeling of relief swept thru me.

According to German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, you are advised to throw flowers at the monster who tried to consume you but failed. Personally, I'd rather throw dynamite!

Today, it feels almost as if I'm existing in another dimension compared to what I once knew. The technology that is common now was still in the realm of science fiction for most of my life. I thought we'd have flying cars before personal computers.

I'll admit I'm not into most of this technology, I find it confusing. But I love surfing the net, email, and writing on a screen rather than paper.

I can remember when a VCR was cutting edge technology!

Back in my early 30's I briefly became friendly with an attorney's wife; another I-have-money-you-don't type. After telling me her salary, she stated that fixing the family dinner was easy now, thanks to her new microwave oven.

From her tone, I knew she was just waiting for me to exclaim, "Oh you have a microwave oven!" and swoon. -- Actually we had one, too! Within 10 years almost everyone owned one!

Nowadays, I'm more behind the times. I don't own an Ipad (whatever that is!) or text. My car was manufactured in the last century and all my phones still have cords attached. I can't afford HBO or HD TV, as well as many other conveniences others take for granted.

However, I do have a P.C., cable TV, a DVR, lots of reading material, plus a fully stocked refrigerator and pantry. And I look darn magnificent for 62! To me, this is an abundance of wealth! Also there's no one around to get in my face and annoy me! All of this more than exceeds my wildest childhood fantasies! Men have their man-cave, my home is my woman's-lair.

My bliss is defined not by what I lack, but what I have. -- Of course it would be wonderful to have newer and more expensive things. But I doubt I would be any happier... On second thought, if I had a flying car life would feel perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment