-->

Friday, December 14, 2012

THE NEIGHBOR SHUFFLE & ROULETTE

Just last month, I found myself between new neighbors on both sides. I live in a subdivision outside the city limits. Up until 1960, my family moved around a lot. After coming to Florida in 1952, we settled briefly in the boonies. Shortly after, we became friendly with a widow & her daughter several miles down the highway. Both became as close as family. This relationship lasted thru several of our moves, including one to another town.

Here, on my little half acre lot surrounded by neighbors, I have nothing beyond a waving acquaintance with any of them. I love my house, but I never wanted to be a part of a neighborhood again after leaving our river front home Stuart.

During the last 10 yrs., we endured more serious problems with neighbors there than the previous 29! However, the neighborhood started to dramatically change in the late 70's as the wealthier people began to move in. Our property taxes began to climb, eventually forcing us out.

You can't control who moves in next door or what they do with their property, even if it affects you directly. If you are fortunate enough to have a great neighbor at some point either they are going to move or die off. -- As to what you get next, it's always a gamble!

Here, the neighbors were far friendlier when my father was alive. Well, they sure distanced themselves fast after he died! Even my father would have been shocked!

Friends tell me it's because I'm a single woman. I'm inclined to agree. Married women seem to think I want to seduce their ugly husbands. Some are almost paranoid about it! Therefore the husbands are unfriendly because they don't want trouble with their wives.

Never mind that I am significantly older than most of them. Knowing the nature of men, I can't imagine a man leaving a young wife for a woman of my years, no matter how well preserved. Unless of course the old woman has a boatload of money. And I do not fit into the later category! -- It must be awful to be that insecure in your marriage!

My close friend Margaret, (a former professional dancer) kept her shapely figure into her 80's and dressed in trendy clothes right to the end. She lived in a place with those of similar age and was avoided like a disease! I remember her telling me about an experience with a new next door neighbor. While walking her little Yorkie, she introduced herself to him as he worked in his front yard.

"You'll have to come to our next barbecue," he told her. "I cook the most delicious burgers you'll ever taste!"

Two weeks later, she watched from her porch as one neighbor after another showed up for the barbecue. "My feelings were hurt!" Margaret exclaimed. "No one invited me!"....Later, she approached her neighbor and asked why she wasn't invited.

"Talk to my wife about it," he replied.

Oh I can relate to so many of her experiences!

Neighborhoods are a lot like High School. You have the popular people, their ass kisser wannabes, and the outcasts in the margins. -- Anyone seen as different or unusual is shunned.

After we put our house up for sale, I told my father I didn't want any neighbors in socializing distance! My father insisted it was too dangerous. We needed neighbors for safety, especially me, since he was getting old and I would soon be alone.

Geez, if someone murdered me with a hammer, my neighbors wouldn't know until they heard it on the evening news. They probably wouldn't even remember who I am. -- That's why I booby-trap the inside of my house and keep weapons (gun, knives, a baseball bat & a pair of handcuffs) hidden various spots in my bedroom.

I'd rather have taken my chances living alone in some remote area. As far as I'm concerned, the best neighbors are trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment