-->

Saturday, December 15, 2012

O' CHRISTMAS TREE DON'T FALL ON ME

I spend the entire day after Thanksgiving erecting my Christmas tree. It's a huge artificial one and a big job for a single person. I place it atop a small but sturdy table with a foot high angel on top. I need that height because of my cathedral ceiling. So I'm forced to do lots of balancing on a ladder and that always makes me nervous. I've had a few close calls that made me cuss like a cable TV star. Several times I swore that would be the final year! However, when I view the end result, it always seems worth the trouble. It just wouldn't feel like Christmas without that tree!

For awhile now, the trend seems to be all white lit trees. This is what my neighbors have displayed in their windows every year. When I was growing up, only dentist offices and other commercial buildings had that kind. Only colorful lights go on my tree, they just look more festive.

A Christmas tree in November is too soon for many people, but I have longer to enjoy it. -- And enjoy it I do! During the holidays I take all my meals on the formal table under the chandelier, and that includes breakfast. There, I have a magnificent view of the tree. I get up at 6:00 AM while it's still pitch dark. My lighted tree looks especially lovely. The sun is just beginning to rise as I start the dishes.

The saddest day of the year is the one after New Year's, because the tree comes down. It's also the most hazardous! I'm back to balancing on that ladder. Plus the tree snaps together far easier than it pulls apart. I've experienced a number of casualties and learned the hard way to remove anything breakable in the surrounding area, except for perhaps myself.

A former neighbor with whom I had more than a waving acquaintance, enjoyed a glorious view of my tree from her house. She told me how much she and her husband miss it after it's gone. I told her I was getting older and didn't know how many more years I'd be up to the job. I expected her to say, "Hey, Leo & I are just next door give us a call if you need help!" Instead, she glanced at my tree and with a sigh replied, "Oh it looks like you've got it down to a science." -- A couple years later, she hinted that she wanted my help moving to another house. I just ignored her.

My friend Pat, up in north part of the state, suggested that I just leave my tree up all year. "You're alone," she reminded, "you can do things like that!"

If my house was more isolated, I might consider it. However, my neighbors already think I'm strange, I don't want to do anything more to feed into that. Also, I want my Christmas seasons to feel special, even if it involves risking my life and property.

No comments:

Post a Comment